Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on the Skagit over the weekend looking for chums and dollies. Found a huge school of fresh(er) chum and started gettin' into 'em. Hooked a submarine intent on making a date in Sedro Woolley . . .took all my line in a few seconds. As I see backing flying off my reel, I panic and decide it's time to turn this fish . . .I clamp down on the palming pad and turn my 9wt upriver . ..POP!! I'm looking at the frayed end of my backing! I call 60 yds downriver to my buddy and ask as calmly as possible "Hey, you see a yellow fly line drifting your way"? He saw it and picked it up for me. I didn't tell him there was a chum attached . . .he found out on his own and put a few wraps of line around his waist and started wading in towards the bank. This time the tippet broke, but at least I got my line back!! My nail-knot had stripped the coating off my Rio Versi-tip running line. I reattached my line using a knot listed in the Rio owners guide where you end up with a short portion of the running line double back on itself . .. hopefully more secure than the nail-knot!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Your're not the first. Mike Kenney said to me that he usually limits his Chum fishing to 8lb Maxima because he too lost a fly line (later recovered) to them. This especially happens if you snag one on the dorsal fin. Sounds like an exciting moment.

Randy

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,347 Posts
The knot that the Rio manual showed you is called an Albright Knot, and the knowledgable steelhead/salmon/saltwater fly fisher uses one between the line and the backing, and another between the leader butt and the line. See http://www.killroys.com/knots/albright.htm for the details, and you will find it easier to make than a nail knot, too.

Nail knots are only good for trout, and not big ones either.

Rob
---------
Genetic pollution damages wild
stocks, bonk those Hatchery Zombies!

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,781 Posts
You might find Mark Sosin's and Lefty Kreh's book; "Practical fishing Knots" a help. I double over the end of my flyline,( also a Rio Versitip), and place two or three "speedy nail knots" in the loop at evenly spaced intervals.Two for lines up to six weight, and three for everything above that weight. Then I use either a double surgeon's knot loop or bimini twist,(20 turns), in my backing.I "backup" the bimini loop with a doubled surgeon's knot near the bimini and that stabilizes the stress on the bimini. I learned that from nick Curccione, a really great bluewater fly fisher. I make the loop size big enough to slip over a reel spool or flyline spool, and this makes a tremendously strong connection and a fast changeover of lines on the reel without allot of winding and knot tying in the field.I do not use any kind of glue or goop on the knots. If tied correctly it all runs through the guides nicely and smoothly.The nail knot is limited in durability and strength. I see allot of them fail, often from being tied too tight.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I had to laugh when I read your story. Almost the exact same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. A freight train chum ran my backing and next thing I know my fly line is broken at the backing knot heading downstream. I didn't have a friend downstream, but did my best Carl Lewis in two feet of water heading downstream. I was drenched, but did catch my flyline...eventually. Guess it pays to maintain your gear..

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Little Stone - I'm having trouble visualizing the setup you describe but it certainly sounds secure! If i ever get into bluewater FF'ing, I'll look you up for the straight scoop.

Randy - thanks for the tip on 8lb tippet for chum. A week ago, I would have questioned that . . .but now it makes good sense.

Rod

·
Smells like low tide.
7,939 Posts
Thanks!!!! The guy in the shop who wound my new Airflo Multi-tip on for me used a nail knot. I'm going to go change that over right now, even though it is a 6 wt. He was able to squeeze nearly 150 yds of backing on my reel, so I don't think I'll dig that far down to see how it is attached to the reel. I'll be sprinting or raising anchor before I let it get that far. I don't trust those loop attachments that go on the business end of the flyline, either, since they failed my stress test and pulled off of the narrower diameter "super fast" sink tip. Appears to be strong on the bigger diameter floating tip, though. Whoah! When I checked my nail knot, it looked very tight(see next post) and not a very "clean" whip (there was a crossed over strand...a Tie-fast knot tyer was used)and the backing broke at the knot with maybe only 10-12 lbs. of pull. Don't ever let anyone else tie your knots for you. :EEK Jimbo

·
Flaccid Member
3,875 Posts
being politically correct sucks

i finally got the pics to work and wow those were pretty nice. i like the close ups on the teeth. has anyone here been bitten by one of those guys. they are aggressive enough.

~sean~

·
Just an Old Man
35,203 Posts
What do I know---I'm just an old man

I hooked one in the dorsel fin but it didnt head for the sound it just went under a log and stayed there and sulked, It took me over 20 minutes to get it out from under that log. I don't think that fish ran over 25 feet up or down the river. It just stayed in the pool I hooked it in.

Jim

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
That albright knot looks pretty secure, what is the strength rating on that knot? I just checked the knots my floater and sinktip to see what the guys at the Morning Hatch used and it looks like they needled the gel-spun backing inside the Cortland 444SL floater 1inch then needle it through the side then into a nail knot. Not sure how secure this knot is, but it sure looks flat and clean. The Albright knot sure looks more secure though attaching backing to floater than a "basic" nail knot.
PS, I also tried to run a 4.1 40yd dash "Jesus Walk On Water" attempt but failed. I was trying to get my St.Croix Oil Hat I accidently knocked off my head. Oh well, I just need to have stronger faith next time I try to walk on water!
(Matthew 14:22-33)

:THUMBSUP

·
Just an Old Man
35,203 Posts
What do I know---I'm just an old man

The only way to walk on water is to meet a bear in the woods by the stream. When you turn to beat feet you are sure to be able to walk on water. At least I thought I did when I met one.

Jim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.