Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Thinking about trying the float on the clarkfork at St Regis for the first time. I plan on taking my pontoon and using Clarkfork trout and tackle for their shuttle service and I think I will be going next weekend the end of july. How long is the float? Any suggestions for what to use and how to fish it? 3 or 5wt? Wet or dry wading? Any other info would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
DC

G

·
I have not fished that stretch for years or that river for that matter, too much pressure. That being said, it does fish well though. The only advice I can give you that is a sure thing........leave the 3 wt at home. There are too many big fish in there to risk breaking your rod (seen it happen), or more importantly kill the fish by over playing it. The surface water temps start rising that time of year and can be deadly to fish as they near the surface being caught.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Use cantrell for the shuttle. Pretty cheap. Do 14 mile from St. Regis down or the Superior area (all day). I like Forest grove to Big Eddy aswell for a half day, take a nap, then go to Dry creek from Big eddy. Take para adams, big stimis, and caddis. Both floats are now brainers and there is plenty of water. The Superior water is more hit and miss in terms of finding fish. it tends to be a pod thing where you can go a mile with no heads then 100 yards with many. 14 mile is more charatar water with holes, runs, classic seams, and hopper banks. It is also the most beautiful and quiet section, but gets a lot of pressure, which isn't saying much for the Clark Fork. Have fun. 6 wt, no waders needed.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Water will be low and the faster more swifter water will be holding more fish during the day. Right now it's a early morning / evening thing. As far as too much pressure - not really. If the fork has too much pressure don't even think about the Missouri. One of the best fishing rivers ever but very heavily fished. Anyway the fork should be a hopper/ dropper thing. A big ugly on top with a bhfbpt for a dropper. Flows by that time of year will be about 2000 - 3000 cfs. pretty low and gin clear with smart fish.

·
Outa here
1,155 Posts
I'd use Clark Fork trout and tackle, I never used Cantrell, never needed to change. CFT&T's website has pretty good, reliable reports and linkst to the gage and weather.

little rod fly recommendations are right. Leave your 3 weight at home. For short floats, Try sloway-St. Regis in late afternoon to hit the train wreck about dusk. You might also try 14mile to quinn's ...not a lot of pressure on that strech. For long floats, I like panhandles float recommendations, but in fact it's all pretty good.

In a toon, I'd worry about getting cold.

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
Not much freeboard on that . . . let's just say it wouldn't make the float with me in it. Ain't no fish in the world worth giving your life for . . .

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Not much freeboard on that . . . let's just say it wouldn't make the float with me in it. Ain't no fish in the world worth giving your life for . . .
You will see about one person die in a float tube in moving water per year. Atleast from the articles I have seen the last 3-4 years. If you tip it is hard to get out and then you have waders to deal with. Not a good combo.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Just floated the Clark Fork last weekend, Cantrell is the guy for advice and shuttle. Forest Grove to Dry Creek, about 6 hours or so. use long leaders with split shot 3 feet up from the bottom fly and a bobber. Look for the scum and bubbles and the deep pockets, they are there. It gets alot of pressure but can produce well. We never seen much for dries a few caddis in the afternoon was all no pmd's to speak of. Use #18 lightning bugs, purple and green or pearl on the bottom fly. 90% of what we caught was on that. smooth water and would be great for a toon. I used a hard boat but there is several toons on the water. 20$ for the shuttle. Great advice here from Panhandle he's spot on.

Use cantrell for the shuttle. Pretty cheap. Do 14 mile from St. Regis down or the Superior area (all day). I like Forest grove to Big Eddy aswell for a half day, take a nap, then go to Dry creek from Big eddy. Take para adams, big stimis, and caddis. Both floats are now brainers and there is plenty of water. The Superior water is more hit and miss in terms of finding fish. it tends to be a pod thing where you can go a mile with no heads then 100 yards with many. 14 mile is more charatar water with holes, runs, classic seams, and hopper banks. It is also the most beautiful and quiet section, but gets a lot of pressure, which isn't saying much for the Clark Fork. Have fun. 6 wt, no waders needed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.