Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if anyone has fished clayoquot sound on Vancouver Island. My friend and I are scheduling a trip for the last week of June and we are looking at options.

Any information on the fishing, camping, and boat rental possibility would be wonderful. Also, any info from anyone who has fished the rivers around this area would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for the info.

Todd

·
Registered
777 Posts
Interestingly enough, I'll be in the area at the same time. My girlfriend keeps complaining about the lack of surfing around here so we'll be spending four days in Tofino the last weekend of June, catching some surf and hopefully a few fish. I plan on hitting the beaches in the Tofino area for silvers and cutties, plus bringing my sailfish rod to see if I can hook into any surfers. I hear they're not leader shy, so you can get away with 50 pound test, and a pizza fly should do the trick.

I have a friend who's a commercial fisherman that lives in Port Alberni that I'll likely be hooking up with, I've asked him a bit of information on the Clayoquot sound and he said a boat is pretty much a necessity. Word of warning: camping anywhere in the Tofino area is extremely expensive! We're paying $40 a night (canadian) for a spot right on the beach at a good surf beach, there are cheaper sites to be had, but do your homework and find some camping before you go. This place is very popular during the summer by people from the cities, and the campground are already almost filled. Drop me a PM and maybe we can hook up for a little while when you guys are there.

worldanglr
http://www.worldanglr.com/

Calling Fly Fishing a hobby is like calling Brain Surgery a job.
-Paul Schullery

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
My favorite area here are some rocks just outside Uculet on the north side. Drop me a PM if intersted and I'll you how to find them. Silvers and big kings in early August of later July is best. You will need a boat. And it's trolling. May not appeal to you.
Bob:dunno

·
Registered
804 Posts
just saw a post on Vancouver Island on Dan Blanton's site - take a peek.

There are some good books on flyfishing that area - can't recall the names - author is Barry Thornton. One book explores the west coast of the island - tactics and flies. And he does not troll! Stays tight to the kelp, follows the birds and bait.

Jim W

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Clayoquot Sound has the best saltwater flyfishing in the NW. But you absolutely need a boat to access it. Weigh West in Tofino has packages that include the use of fly-fishing skiffs, semi-guided, or guided. I think there's another place in town that offers guided flyfishing day trips, I think. Weigh West also rents the skiffs, though availability is tight. If you have a small boat, trailering it wouldn't be all that bad (the second half of the road from Nanaimo to Tofino is fairly narrow and winding, but by no means harrowing; the RVs all make it fine).

It's not a secret, and the fishing is not all by your lonesome, but it's rarely crowded, especially on the flyfishing grounds. And I have enjoyed the best fishing of my life on Clayoquot Sound with no one else in sight. The coho and rockfish fishing are exceptional, and Clayoquot offers realistic shots at chinook on cast flies (though not in June).

end of June is just about the beginning of the season for coho, so could be good if a little iffy, but I imagine the rockfish and lingcod would be very good indeed. If it was any good at all and you spent all day, I'd imagine 100-fish days would be likely. Usually it's good for 20 or so fish during an off-coho tide. If you go and it's too early for the bigger migratory coho, there will likely be residents around in the 1-5 pound range.

I think the weather can still be a little unsettled in June, as it is around here, and I think fog can be a problem that time of year. But what are going to do about the weather?

There are a few beaches around tofino where it's possible to catch fish, but I don't think it would be worth the drive just for that. I think the rest of the Sound is roadless.

Taking the ferry from Tswassen to Nanaimo, It's about an 8-9 hour trip from Seattle by car. You can fly a number of ways from around Seattle for $300-$400 in about an hour or so (but I've been turned around and had to cool my heels in Port Alberni for half a day because of fog during early summer).

I've been going up for about 7 years. Send me a PM if you have any questions, and I'll see if I can help.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Most of the rivers emptying in to Clayoquot Sound can only be accessed at the mouths by boat. Some of them apparently provide exceptionaly good steelheading in the sring and coho fishing in the late fall.

I don't know if the Kennedy River gets any fish above Kennedy Lake (which drains almost directly into southern Clayoquot Sound), but it is a beautiful looking river, with lots of access along HWY 4 between Port Alberni and Tofino. The Somas/Stamp system near Port Alberni is supposed to offer very good fishing. The rivers and estuaries in CS also offer year-round fishing for Searun cutthroat, but again access is difficult without a boat.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all who responded. The cost of the trip is prohibitive for me at this time. We'll probably end up in Fernie instead catching native westslope cutthroat and bull trout, and camping at the provincial campground.

Hope to get to Clayoquot sound at some point in the future. Love Fernie though. Big native cutties on dries and monster bulls on streamers!! All at the base of the canadian rockies.

Todd

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.