Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I'm a teacher, I fish to eat!
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will preface this report by saying I am not sure i was doing things right in the whole swinging flies department.

I took my switch rod down to the Clearwater and fished for two days with a buddy. Stayed at the Konkolville motel, an awesome place with awesome prices! I highly recommend it! The people were amazing and the cook your own steak dinner was really good!

Day One- floated in a cataraft from Lenore to Cherry Lane bridge. It was awesome to be out on the river. We swung in the 4-5 ft water and i nymphed the deeper holes as we floated through. My friend had one hookup with no landing and I put a hefty 0 up on the board for day one. It was only the second time out with the switch, i was really getting the hang of it.:thumb:

Day Two- we decided not to float today since we were on a short day and the rain will take some of that motivation away. We started fishing a sweet run below Harpers bend. I got a little snag and gave it a little tug just like any other snag and my rod exploded in my hands. I was surprised and not happy. So that ended my day of fishing. No hookups and a broken rod to boot! I decided to leave the river and head home. My buddy put up a 0 as well that day.

All in all the Clearwater was an awesome place to fish! It was very beautiful and i saw some fish holding in waters that i may have a chance at if i ever figure out what i am doing! There were fish being caught by gear guys both days. I will hopefully be heading back soon, when i can get a new rod and figure this whole thing out! I had a ton of fun and I must say I was double spey casting pretty nice, was only shooting a little line but it was a nice looking 55 ft. cast! Which was good for me, being self taught.

BIG THANKS TO-
Mark Speer- it was great to meet you! Thanks for all the info you really helped!
Poppy - the red shed was awesome for my first visit, Poppy was a wealth of info and it was great to chat with him!
Ricky Manty- thanks for the encouragement!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Nate,

Curiosity prevails for me today....Uhm, what was the make of your broken switch rod? Was it new or used (jpreviously owned!)?

Jc

·
I'm a teacher, I fish to eat!
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was a previously owned Wild Water Switch Rod. 11ft 7/8. The great people at Wild Water sent me a brand new one, haven't had a problem and the previous owner said he never had a problem....just my bad luck i guess.

·
Washington Native
202 Posts
Did you tape your rod at the attachment points? I took a casting class to help speed up the learning curve and the instructor was adamant about taping before we began and taped my rod to start class. Spey casting tends to work a rod apart due to the force exerted. I am new to this so just thought I would pass this on.
The class I took was with Steve Buckner (http://www.northwestflyfisherman.com/ ) he was awesome if anyone has the bucks I highly recommend taking a class. Good luck in the future. I am sure another swich will come along.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Thanks, Nate. Hope to be able to afford a switch myself one day.

Jc

·
Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"
2,838 Posts
Did you tape your rod at the attachment points? I took a casting class to help speed up the learning curve and the instructor was adamant about taping before we began and taped my rod to start class. Spey casting tends to work a rod apart due to the force exerted. I am new to this so just thought I would pass this on.
The class I took was with Steve Buckner (http://www.northwestflyfisherman.com/ ) he was awesome if any one has the bucks I hilly recommend taking a class. Good luck in the future. I am sure another swich will come along.
I used to rail against the use of tape, but Steve eventually convinced me otherwise. If you ain't taping, you're taking the risk of rod breakage or rod parts getting stuck together (due to having to jam them together so hard)....

·
Steelhead-a-holic
950 Posts
Electrical tape if you feel the need. Nasty stuff ~

IMO if you're not fishing a long belly line and you're reasonably competent at assembling your rod with light/moderate pressure and a consistent twisting motion you probably don't need it.

The twisting torque generated by repeated casting can cause the rod's sections to loosen. This is much worse when casting long belly lines. Most of the veteran casters I know on the Clearwater/Snake/Thompson fishing long-belly lines are taping their rods.

If you're fishing Skagit heads, WindCutters or Deltas you're much less likely to have your rod's sections loosen over a day's fishing.

I used to tape and still broke 3 rods. Haven't used tape in 10 years and haven't broken a rod (while casting). FWIW, if you're not taping you better check the tightness of your rod's connections periodically during the day.

Brian

·
Aint no nookie like chinookie
994 Posts
Loon products make a paste out of graphite and some other shiz... Works great, better than wax that doesn't last long... If you use the paste, and get in the habit of checking your ferules each run, you will have no problem .
Tape sucks when it gets wet...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.