Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a detailed run map of the Clearwater from Lewiston up to Poppy's red shed? If so, would you scan and forward it to me. In exchange, I have several marked up maps that I've personally marked up with detailed notes..Heading to Spokane tomorrow for an early morning business meeting on Monday and then high tailing it down to the Clearwater

Thanks in advance.

Todd.

·
Aint no nookie like chinookie
994 Posts
Anyone have a detailed run map of the Clearwater from Lewiston up to Poppy's red shed? If so, would you scan and forward it to me. In exchange, I have several marked up maps that I've personally marked up with detailed notes..Heading to Spokane tomorrow for an early morning business meeting on Monday and then high tailing it down to the Clearwater

Thanks in advance.

Todd.
Do yourself a favor, go see Poppy, and pull this thread , trust me ...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes indeed, I've never asked before. I reached out because this is very last minute. I'm driving my girlfriend to Spoke for a biz meeting and she is lettling me bolt down to the Clearwater. I did synch up with Poppy and it's all good. Disreguard my previous request.

Todd.

No, and we hope there is never one!!! Go out and fish like the rest of us and find you own way.

·
"junkyard spey"
517 Posts
There is no Clearwater run map, detailed or otherwise. Mark Bachmann has a down loadable map of the boat launches. I have one of these boat launch maps with some runs marked but they are all gear holes, and besides that I can't seem to find it right now.

LD said it very well. Most of the Clearwater regulars don't want a map and it wouldn't be accurate anyways as every hole has many different names. Many of us believe part of chasing chrome here is learning the river on one's own. Take a drive and look around. Finding the spots where others have fished ain't rocket science.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Panhead,

I'm going to take a few swings for Steel. The purpose of this trip is to experience a new river and learn all I can from Poppy.

Expections are low for Steel, but high on learning. I've only been swinging with a spey rod just over a year now. I'm still in student mode and learning every single day. I would never commit myself to learning this river, just want to do a little exploring while my lady is making some fresh Pepper Jack in Spoke.

Thanks for your words.

T.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I would never commit myself to learning this river, ....
T.
Todd,
The reason why your request rubs many the wrong way is your original question and a comment like that. I think you got the message and I'll just pile on just a bit more--basically a request like that is like asking a stranger to lend you the keys to their truck, their first born, and more seriously, one's honey holes. The reason for that is, absent of new changes to river channels, steelhead tend to hold consistently in certain spots from season to season. And with the declining runs of fish we have across the PNW, many of these prime spots have been delivering fewer and fewer fish as the seasons go by.

Good luck at any rate and have fun.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chris, I do understand what saying and it makes perfect sense to me. I'm thinking, I should bag Clearwater idea and focus on my home waters. I was going to be in the area and thought I would pick Poppy's mind and spend a few bucks at his shop.

My intent was to check out a new river and meet a an icon of the sport that I hold dear to my heart.

I respect your comments Chris.:hmmm:

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Chris,

If you're there, fish the damn river! If you can see runs that look fishy from the road, you'll find spots to fish. If you can't read the water, read the pullouts. If it looks like cars have parked by the side of the road, it ain't because they're picnicking. Nobody has lunch on the shoulder next to the screaming trucks on Hwy 95. Geezus H. Christ, just do it!

Leland.

·
screw work lets fish
233 Posts
Chris,

If you're there, fish the damn river! If you can see runs that look fishy from the road, you'll find spots to fish. If you can't read the water, read the pullouts. If it looks like cars have parked by the side of the road, it ain't because they're picnicking. Nobody has lunch on the shoulder next to the screaming trucks on Hwy 95. Geezus H. Christ, just do it!

Leland.
Oh shit,watch out Lelands fired up now!!!
I agree with all who have responded so far.Do your leg work.

john

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Leland...just stop by Creekside to pick up a few things. Pedro at Creekside gave me his Clearwater game plan. A crucial part of his plan is swinging by PRS...

Ok...enough bs on this topic...heading east now.

Todd.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My Clearwater trip awesome! John and Al of Swede's in Spoke added to my box pre-swing and Poppy spun up my new switch rod with RIO's finest XS post-swing. Post Swing Pedro and Brett of Creekside Issaquah sat me down with GC last night. GC educated me on how best to utilize my double hander and switch rod from a line perspective. Have a clue now, I think.

Tailed my first native swinging a fly! John at Swede's built me a custom box for the Clearwater. Thanks John, Al, Poppy, Pedro, Brett and Daisy too. The little native ate John of Swede's recommended fly.

Lesson learned...Don't ask for advice on this forum....go to the shops where the experts reside staring out the window day dreaming of swinging flies.

Support your local fly shop, it's worth every cent.

T.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Lesson learned...Don't ask for advice on this forum....go to the shops where the experts reside staring out the window day dreaming of swinging flies.
T.
Todd, nice job. Just to be clear and to put it politely, you didn't exactly ask for advice if you reread your original post; you were asking for spots to fish. It would be akin to someone asking you between which mile markers you caught that fish on the Clearwater.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.