Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
@#)$%# river otters!
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So due to time constraints (I start a new job in indiana in a week and a half) my 9 days on the coast of oregon has been cut down to two. Was planning on starting north and working my way south, but as I don't have as much time to explore as I'd initially planned, I was wondering if anybody might kindly point me towards a two-hander friendly river or two out that way. Appreciate the nudge in the right direction. Mike

·
still an authority on nothing
2,194 Posts
go to a motel in Tillamook, draw a 50 mile radius circle, and hit it!
wish I were there right now with my switcher and 13' 5/6/7....sigh

·
Registered
98 Posts
The Necanicum and Salmonberry are not what I'd call two-hander friendly. Access is pretty good but they're both small.....more like creeks than rivers.

Without a boat or a guide it's going to be tough unless you know the water.

Access on the Wilson is good but not a lot of swinging water. There's some, but you'll have to look around a bunch. If you don't mind fishing an indicator rig you'll find a lot more suitable water.
The Trask has decent access and some good water. No hatchery steelhead is a plus = less pressure. Try around the salmon hatchery and the public access area just below. Or head way up on the opposite bank.
Nestucca would be a decent choice. Bank access is limited but there's some at the mouth of Three Rivers and Farmer Creek. The tackle shop in Hebo might direct you to some bank access but the guy can be grouchy. Might be more helpful if you buy a carton of sand shrimp. <g>
good luck.....Mike

·
@#)$%# river otters!
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. I ended up fishing the trask and wilson the last two days, as they both had lots of easy access and were in good shape. I found a few places on both rivers to break out the spey rod, which felt good, but did end up using the bug rod quite a bit too. Ended up getting blanked, but getting out in the sun and 60 degree (yeah, it was sixty out there the last two days) weather after three months snowbound in mccall was well worth the trip. I always enjoy checking out new water, and don't feel as bad not catching fish on rivers I don't know. So yeah, no fish, but a beautiful trip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.