Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was interested in the previous posts about coldwater lake and am hoping to go there soon. I understand the lake can get real windy. Does anyone have info on where to get a weather report including wind for that area? Also if the wind is from a certain direction, do the cliffs shelter the lake? How much time does it take to get to the lake and any more recent reports?

thanks in advance.

mike

·
previously micro brew
4,662 Posts
I'm not sure that weather reports would help much, too close to the mountains and the weather can change quickly. Besides, haven't really found a weather report that I would trust on a consistent basis.
The recent reports were pretty good. If you stick near the leaft shore, from the boat ramp, not too bad getting back - just don't get caught in the middle in a float tube, can be "interesting".

How long? Depends on where you are coming from - dont' mean to be smart, just need a starting point.

Keep an eye on Merrill in the same area, hex hatch.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I think any weather forcast for SW Washington can give you an idea of what the winds are going to be like. From my experiences, if there is a cold-front moving through it's going to be windy. Also, if the temps are going to be above 80, it's going to be windy. The winds on an average summer day aren't annoying until late morning. The way the lake is situated, the winds come through the Toutle River valley and the hillsides seem to funnel the wind, rather than shelter the lake. The winds have been light on my last 3 trips up there. Travel time from I-5 Castle Rock exit is around 50 minutes. Fishing has slowed some with the warmer weather, but it's still worth the effort. I would suggest fishing the lake early in the morning or late in the evening.
Good Luck

·
Patrick
1,792 Posts
When the wind comes up on this lake there is not any shelter unless the wind is coming in from the North West corner. You can fish the area just out from the boat launch with some winds but without trees and the fact the the mud slide evened out the area quite a bit and formed the lake at the same time, there is not much to block the wind. Last year I hooked into a 16" fish and by the time I got it in I was half way across the lake. It made for a long row back. I do not know if there is a site showing the winds in that area and would love to hear of one myself. With this lake its good to have a back up plan just in case. From Seattle plan on about 2.5 hours to get there but since you did not post where you were coming from it hard to say how long to get there. A Washington state forest pass is required to fish this lake which I think cost $40 for the year. I myself may hit the lake on way back from the South side of the mountain this weekend and will post a report if I do stop there. I would recomend some type of sinking line be used. There is not alot of top water action.

·
Registered
229 Posts
You can purchase a day pass at the coldwater observatory for $3. I live near Olympia and usually decide to go based on the weather down here. If is is clear skys and no wind, I'll go. Usually it is just fine up there. Speaking of, I'm going tonight and staying until tomorrow. :TONGUE

·
Patrick
1,792 Posts
I am talking 2 rookies out Thursday the 4th till Sunday the 7th on lake Merrill and would love to get some recent reports on the lake if anyone out there has any. One of them will be picking up a fly rod for the first time so it should be intresting. They will be the two out there in a alum boat with a red kayak I am in close by them. I was down there for memerorial day and did ok but not great. Has the hex hatch started yet? Has anyone caught fish durring mid day or only in the evening. Is the road open to lale Mcbride yet for a change of pace? Last has the lake gotten a care taker yet to keep the trouble makers in line or will I have to tell people myself not to use fireworks in the woods or lake to protect this place for others to enjoy. Thank in advance for any information I can get today before I leave early Thursday morning down there. :DUNNO

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.