Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the over 50 crowd.

For the record, the actual procedure is like getting fondled by the airport TSA agents only with really great drugs.

Here's comedian Billy Conolly's take on a colonoscopy prep. What the VA gave me is called GoLytely. Talk about Euphemistic names! Mine you mixed with a gallon of water. It tastes like it has used motor oil in it. I cheated and mixed a quart of gatorade with it and 3 qts of water.

Billy's language gets a little rough.

·
Retired, gone fishin'
1,692 Posts
I've had 3 I think. I remember being sort of semi-conscience during the first one and watching the monitor during the exam and seeing the inside of my own gut and more! It was not like the old movie Fantastic Voyage with Raquel Welch.
It was more like Voyage of the Damned with Nurse Ratchet.:eek: I was told later that the nurses in the recovery room rate the patients on the expulsion of the air from the colon while still under anethesia on a scale of 1 to10. My score was 11.:D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I did the Colon Cleanse (They make that sound so ethereal) I started pooping out stuff I hadn't even eaten yet . . .

I don't remember a thing after the anesthesiologist started giving me the happy juice and until I woke up on the way to recovery.

·
previously micro brew
4,663 Posts
What amazes me is that you have to have a prescription for that prep stuff. Never understood why, I certainly wouldn't consider it for "recreational" purposes. They got the drugs down prety good. Of course, out of the three nurses in the room, it is the really cute one that ask to to lie on you right side..... I watched most of my last one - TMI????

·
Registered
294 Posts
Don't eat popcorn the day before line I did. The DR said thanks he had to deal with some still in my system during the procedure. Preparation is the worst. I am a 3 year cycle next one is this September. Guess I have had 4 to date.

DS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
For those newbies. Don't sweat it - but the clean out is way worse than the procedure. Word of advice. When they wheel you into the procedure room close your eyes. DO NOT look around the room to see what they are going to do. You'll think you're in the hose section of Home Depot - with the hose caddies for the 150 foot long hoses. You don't need to see that. It will see you!!!

·
Gnu to the board
333 Posts
Yep...prep was nasty. My whole family was laughing as I kept running for the bathroom. Last thing I remember of the event was joking with the nurses that the gallon of motor oil I had to drink was NASTY! Next thing I knew I was awake and it was all over.

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
Hey, serious business! I saw my doc last summer and said I was thinking of getting another colonoscopy since it had been about 8 years since I had it done. He said naw, you only need it every 10 years. But I said my girlfriend's brother has colon cancer so I thought it might be a good idea to do it again before 10 years. He said ok and set it up for a procedure at the end of October. Well, it saved my life. The doc found three polps which he removed. The largest ended up having cancer just barely starting on the tip. Did not have a chance to invade any blood vessels. Saved my life! I have had three sigmoidoscopys since October. I'm clean as a whistle. In fact, I taught my ass to whistle! Gotta do it again (sig) next month. And then another full colonoscopy again in November. Saved my life. Go do it. It's a piece of cake. And to hell with the VA. I get VA benefits being a Vietnam Vet, but I'm also on Medicare now. The VA does it the cheap way and makes you drink a gallon of that crap. No more need for that. I think I drank 32 ozs. of whatever the new stuff is. ASK!! Anyway, I have Nine Lives. I think I have 4 remaining. Well, unless you call surviving Vietnam, that would leave me only 3 lives remaining...Yikes!!!! Save you life, go GET a colonoscopy. Don't listen to the negative hype.

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,853 Posts
I had my first at 42 due to family history.
Not fun and you won't win any merit badges, but better then the alternative.
Don't procrastinate....get that shit done. No pun intended.
SF

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.