Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been in Spokane/Cheney area recently. . Mind is turning. From Cheney is the Columbia Plateau Basin Trails, or at least one access point. I will do my own investigating regarding fishing, not looking for water to fish. I have my own ideas. But wanted to know if any one has attempted a long journey? Sprague/or Cheney access point to the Ice Harbor Dam/ tri-cities area? On foot. Probably need minimum of 7-8 days. Maybe 10 with fishing?. Just curious if anyone has done it ? And mainly seeking the number of days to cover. Hate being in a rush to make timed appointment/pickup. I rather be a mile or two close before pick up day and spend last day playing, if you get my drift. No hustling last hours to be on time.......Sounds like it is doable terrain. Probable attempt would be made in spring 2017. 3-4-5 weight will accompany me. Maybe a 6. Need to catch a few fish to supplement food rations, yeah right :eek: Not going solo. 3 in our party/ tenting.

We each offer a plan and pick one. 2017 is a multi-day up to 10 days. Not looking for other ideas. Just day count on mentioned above. I have read stuff on wash trails and etc. but they really have no fishing involved. Need to have dedicated hours to fishing in trip. I have an idea but any input about time/obstacles would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
In reading the State Parks site it appears that only 38 miles of the 130, 23 near Cheney and 15 near Ice Harbor, are developed although I'm not sure of the date of the article.

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
Well don't nix it after what we say. This is a 24 mile hike outside of Odessa. You could hike one day, camp and head up to fish coffeepot or some other areas and make a fun weekend out of it.
Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Wood
Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Tree
Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Fence
Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Overhead power line
Cloud Glasses Sky Smile Goggles
Watch out for this thing. It looks more scary then a tick...
Brown Plant Twig Wood Grass

·
Moved to https://pnwflyfish.com
3,286 Posts
Check out caltopo.com to map out routes. Should be easy enough to then judge the time for travel and fishing to fit in your schedule. I don't know any specifics about that area, but that's how I break down trips. Plus then you can print/save PDFs, GPS routes, etc. Great tool, and it's free!

·
Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
1,860 Posts
In reading the State Parks site it appears that only 38 miles of the 130, 23 near Cheney and 15 near Ice Harbor, are developed although I'm not sure of the date of the article.
I hunt in the area of the trail and have crossed it many times.

The State Parks are pretty weird as they close PUBLIC land to the taxpayers on a fairly consistent basis. So I don't know if you can get a permit to travel YOUR public lands from State Parks.

That said I would do the trip now, if possible. There is railroad ballast on the trail so walking would be a little bit uncomfortable. But it would be an interesting trip. I thought about doing it with a mountain bike but the ballast size is just large enough to make it difficult.

You can time the trip in late March before the rattlesnakes and ticks come up.

Not sure what this "mosquito" species and where it is found. Have not seen it in the Columbia Basin.

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
Some years, Jerusalem crickets are pretty thick & they can impart a pretty uncomfortable pinch according to my Son, lol. And depending on weather, ticks can appear in late March/early April.

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
I encountered one of the densest tick concentrations ever in late March one year south of Sprague. I wasn't bitten, but my poor Lab was covered. Dark ticks on a black dog were exceedingly challenging to find/brush-off/remove.

·
Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
1,860 Posts
Hmmm, never had much of an issue with ticks in the Basin until about mid-April.

They are "awesome" after mid-April. I have seen bushes that from a distance looked like the wind moving them....up close it was just a mass of ticks. BTW...A friend's wife ended up with Lyme's from a tick in the Basin. That is a ugly disease. You don't want that.

May is pretty bad. I am usually fishing north by them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.