Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
formerly hatman
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't posted much lately, but this trip yesterday must be mentioned.
I was fortunate to be part of another Anil-orchestrated tuna trip out of Warrenton, Oregon. And I was also fortunate to have invited my brother Eric who has never done any kind of trip like this before.
As Sunday approached last week I kept a keen eye on the marine report as it kept becoming more favorable. Hope began to grow as so many planned trips had been canceled due to poor conditions.
Well, Saturday confirmed the next day would be a 'go' so off we went to Warenton.

After a fitful night at Captain Chuck's home in anticipation of the day to come, we woke up at 4am and it was wheels up at 5am, over the bar, after baiting up at Ilwaco, at 7am. Three hours later over calms seas and beautiful sunshine we were in bluewater and the day's fishing adventure officially began.

About 20 minutes later we had our first hookup on the troll. It was a shout-out of "Fish-On", and then seconds later another "Fish-On", and then seconds later, I shouted "Fish-On". Oh yes. Could this be the day?

Well, we landed those three fish and with the first bait stop others caught a couple more. Within the first hour or so we had 8 fish on board.

Off to trolling for a couple more hours with a couple more fish or so, and then around noon it was shouts of a quad hookup on the troll. Captain Chuck brought the boat to a halt and started tossing anchovies over the rail and for the next two hours it was nonstop nirvana of tuna fishing.
Tuna were thrashing on the surface, tuna were streaking like dark ghosts all over by the boat, and tuna were gulping our flies for the next two hours.

Several times it seemed like (and it was actually true) that everyone on the boat was hooked up with a tuna. Captain Chuck by now had put out 4 rods with live bait and 2 of those rods had tuna on them, pulsing the rods in the rod holders. I looked at Anil, with flyrods and Chuck's rods zipping all over with hooked up tuna and said I don't know where to cast without risking a tangle with someone. Anil said something to the effect of "Well, it's better to have a tangle than not to have a hookup." So, out went my fly and seconds later another hookup! Good Lord, it was absolutely nuts. After a 20 minute fight here I was with another one that zipped off line at unbelievable speed until you had so much backing out you wondered how you'd ever reel it all back in. At one time Chuck's 4 bait rods had hookups (sitting in the rod holders) while he and Anil scrambled with the gaffs and nets as the rest of us were fighting fish and shouting to land ours.

Two hours later, with everyone completely satiated (OK, Anil wanted to keep fishing, and as tired as I was, I would have kept going), Captain Chuck called an end to the affair as sharks moved in - my last tuna (the last of the day) came in partially eaten. He said this is the best it could ever be and we've had enough. And he was right.

We cleaned up the deck of tuna, broke down our rods, and prepared to head in. I don't think anyone could even fully absorb what we experienced and I'm still trying to get perspective. It was beyond anything I could have imagined and I was so appreciative that my brother got to experience this.

After arriving back at the dock, we counted 33 tuna and it confirmed we had the Day of Days.
It will be a long long time before the feeling of ecstasy abates.

Thank you Anil for finding Captain Chuck and for organizing these trips. While not any given trip can be like this, the opportunity to experience this has been worth all the weathered-out trips, all the aborted trips, all the skunk trips.

This is my feeble attempt to memorialize yesterday's trip. For those of you on the bubble of trying for tuna, know that you may have to go through a few trips with minimal results, but maybe, just maybe, you can experience what we found yesterday. It truly was the Day of Days of Tuna.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Lucky bloke! I've been salivating over the Albie reports from others on the gear boards that experienced the samething recently.

http://www.gamefishin.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24052

My friend went out for the first time on a private boat on Sunday, but weren't dialed in like you guys were. You'll be feasting for weeks to come on all that good tuna! Sounds like it was an epic outing!!!

·
formerly hatman
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lucky bloke! I've been salivating over the Albie reports from others on the gear boards that experienced the samething recently.

http://www.gamefishin.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24052

My friend went out for the first time on a private boat on Sunday, but weren't dialed in like you guys were. You'll be feasting for weeks to come on all that good tuna! Sounds like it was an epic outing!!!
Thank you. Yes, it was epic. Captain Chuck actually used that word many times, even up to our handshake at 8:30pm yesterday after all the fish prep. We were all so bloody tired, but we knew something special happened that day.

It was also epic (and I'll only say this this one time) because for the past four years I sank into the pain and debilitation of hip arthritic pain. Even up to last year I went on a tuna trip last year but I was a bit relieved we didn't hook anything since there was no way I could realistically stand at the rail.
This year, after 2 hip replacements I was ready to go this past weekend and the past year's tribulations were worth the effort. This last trip was the best, both in terms of success and absence of pain. This past weekend I actually found the end of the rainbow.

Having said this, and the last post, I can't thank Anil Srivastava enough for finding such a fly-friendly, and enthusiastic, charter captain.
Anil and Chuck, you da men.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
I'd be jealous, but it sounds like you've earned this trip. I went out with Chuck on the 19th and it was rough with 10 -15' combined seas. We should have had a similar day but we got blown off the fish quickly on the 2 brief bait stops. We ended the day with 9 fish. On the up side I finally got my first grab on a cast fly. Glad it finally all came together for you.

·
formerly hatman
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd be jealous, but it sounds like you've earned this trip. I went out with Chuck on the 19th and it was rough with 10 -15' combined seas. We should have had a similar day but we got blown off the fish quickly on the 2 brief bait stops. We ended the day with 9 fish. On the up side I finally got my first grab on a cast fly. Glad it finally all came together for you.
I was just hoping for one grab on the cast fly. God was kind on Sunday.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Hopefully I will have some luck; Heading down tomorrow for a Friday trip with Chuck. I went last year on a horrible day but we still got fish. I have an ear patch this year so I think I'm ready for the rough sea. The weather report is on the marginal to good side so we're hoping to have a day like you guys did. I can taste the tuna already and hope to not be disappointed. My brother, nephew, and a friend are flying down from Alaska to make the trip.

·
Registered
335 Posts
great to read your post,we went with cap'n chuck and anil last year and we were totally skunked, i think chuck said it was the first time this had ever happened on any one of his charters and i was lucky enough to be part of it.now i want to go again.

·
formerly hatman
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
great to read your post,we went with cap'n chuck and anil last year and we were totally skunked, i think chuck said it was the first time this had ever happened on any one of his charters and i was lucky enough to be part of it.now i want to go again.
Thanks mr. b.
I also got skunked last year. Either Chuck had at least 2 skunk trips or we were on the same trip. :)

I'm scheduled again for this Sunday, but it's looking iffy with 6ft swells, 3ft wind waves and 10-15kt winds, increasing.

·
Free Man
1,872 Posts
Bruce, I'm booked for the Sunday trip as well. I've looked at a couple of forecasts in the last 1/2 hour or so, and some are more bleak than others. Here's hoping it lays down. PM me if you think a group hand wringing will help.

Don

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hey Bruce we were on the same boat now that i think about it.....you were stuck in your chair, great to see that's in the past.i was suposed to call you guys when chico was on, sorry i forgot, but you didn't miss much.

·
Not Politically Correct
276 Posts
I'm leaving out of Westport tonight for a trip...returning Sunday. Here's the forecast for offshore in front of Grays Harbor:
--Rest Of Tonight...NW wind 10 kt. Wind waves 1 ft. W swell 4 ft at 7 seconds. A chance of showers.
--Fri...NW wind 5 to 15 kt. Wind waves 1 to 2 ft. W swell 5 ft at 8 seconds. A chance of showers.
--Fri Night...NW wind 5 to 15 kt...becoming light by midnight. Wind waves 2 ft or less. W swell 5 ft at 8 seconds. A chance of evening showers.
--Sat...Light wind...becoming NW 10 to 15 kt after noon. Wind waves building to 1 to 2 ft. W swell 5 ft.
--Sat Night...NW wind 10 to 15 kt...becoming W after midnight. Wind waves 1 to 3 ft. W swell 5 ft.
--Sun...W wind 5 to 15 kt...becoming SW 10 to 20 kt. Wind waves 1 to 3 ft. W swell 5 ft.
--Mon...SW wind 10 to 20 kt...becoming NW. Wind waves 2 to 4 ft. W swell 5 ft.
--Tue...W wind 10 to 15 kt. Wind waves 1 to 3 ft. NW swell 5 ft.
Looks like tonight and Saturday morning should be decent. Sunday might be a bit nautical for a 50-ish foot sized boat but doable I think.
Of course having me on the trip is probably a kiss of death for the weather...lol.

Now the forecast out of the "River" looks a bit nautical than further North.
--Tonight...NW wind 10 to 15 kt...becoming W 5 to 10 kt after midnight. Wind waves 3 ft. NW swell 5 ft at 8 seconds.
--Fri...W wind 5 kt. Wind waves 1 foot. NW swell 5 ft at 8 seconds. Slight chance of showers.
--Fri Night...NW wind 10 kt...becoming N after midnight. Wind waves 3 ft. NW swell 4 ft at 8 seconds. Slight chance of showers after midnight.
--Sat...N wind 15 kt with gusts to 25 kt. Wind waves 3 ft. NW swell 5 ft. Slight chance of showers in the morning.
--Sat Night...NW wind 20 kt...becoming N after midnight. Gusts up to 25 kt. Wind waves 4 ft. NW swell 6 ft...shifting to the W after midnight. Slight chance of showers after midnight.
--Sun...NW wind 10 to 15 kt. Wind waves 3 ft. NW swell 4 ft. Slight chance of showers.
--Sun Night...W wind 10 kt...backing to SW after midnight. Gusts up to 20 kt. Wind waves 3 ft. NW swell 4 ft...shifting to the SW 5 ft after midnight. Slight chance of showers.
--Mon...W wind 15 to 20 kt. Wind waves 3 ft. NW swell 5 ft.
--Tue...NW wind 10 to 15 kt. Wind waves 2 ft. NW swell 6 ft.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Just got back from our Tuna trip, I'll post detail later but weather coming in this afternoon was fantastic with almost no wind/wind waves/chop and only 3-4 foot swells.

·
He called me an Elitist ?? LOL ..what a moron
682 Posts
Great read Bruce. It sounds like an epic trip! Last weekend while checking out one of my fishing spots, I noticed a crap load of carcasses. I'm starring down at them and scratching my head...hmmm...thinking to myself WTF!!! Those couldn't be, not here...when did the tribes start stocking those???

·
formerly hatman
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, just to show it isn't always the Sea of Dreams out there, I've made two subsequent trips for tuna and was blanked both times.
Two weeks ago, after an E ticket ride across the bar, we stopped after a couple of miles due to increasing seas (other boats who tried to keep going eventually turned back). We ended up trolling for salmon for a few hours until slack tide and then headed in.

Yesterday, with weather beautiful and the sea as calm as I've ever personally seen it, we got the complete Skunk for the entire crew. A few tuna were spotted jumping but not one bite on the troll and thus no bait stops. From the radio traffic we picked up, no one was really getting them.

However, that just makes me more determined and can't wait for the next opportunity. Beaten, but not defeated. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.