Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
What is most common is through this site, ebay, or craigslist. There is no centralized swapping deal for commercial tiers.

You do have to be aware of legalities with that natural white hair and the jc, they are both heavily regulated and require documentation of date of original acquisition and origin to satisfy marine mammal act and ESA CITES listed species.

I've seen several listings on craigslist lately for former commercial tiers collections. Usually as a bulk deal, sometimes separating out on ebay will bring the most value.

·
Fly fishing enthusiast.
244 Posts
I'm helping someone out who's grandpa was a commercial tier and he wants to sell everything off. Boxes and boxes of hooks, brand new capes, jungle cock, polar bear in multiple colors, etc...
What type of capes does he have? Also colors and colors of polar bear. I'd be interested in seeing. I tie alot of flies, alot.

·
Indi Ira
9,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What type of capes does he have? Also colors and colors of polar bear. I'd be interested in seeing. I tie alot of flies, alot.
Metz and Whiting capes #2 in grizzly, dun, brown, etc.. Polar bear in natural, orange, red, other colors.

At this point it looks like I might help him with a garage sale and then lot out from there.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Contact fly shops. Many times they can lead you to professionals, or help. Check the sidebar. Puget Sound Fly Co. assisted in disbursement of one shop's inventory.

Also, there is the fly tiers group that specializes in salmon flies. [Which I can't help beyond this.]

·
Indi Ira
9,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Contact fly shops. Many times they can lead you to professionals, or help. Check the sidebar. Puget Sound Fly Co. assisted in disbursement of one shop's inventory.

Also, there is the fly tiers group that specializes in salmon flies. [Which I can't help beyond this.]
Thank you, I have been down this route, with little success. At this point other than a few items, we will hold a garage sale. From there the family will either donate or lot the stuff out. Right now attempting the ebay, etc... pathway is just too daunting. We need to whittle the inventory down.

For those interested, I will not be parting stuff out at this point, it is hard to describe the volume this person accumulated.

·
509flies
843 Posts
Ira -

I think you will find with many fly tyers, that it is not difficult at all to describe the volume of a large collection. I have more materials than I could use in a lifetime of tying, and likely my sons' lifetimes. And still, I keep purchasing more and more materials. I occupy an entire wall in our garage with tupperwares of fly tying materials. It's a hot button topic at the St. Clair household, haha!

It's an obsession for many...

Good luck with finding a home for all of the materials.

James

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.