Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Just swimming around, chasing fish in Beervana
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of curiosity, why would someone opt for a "compact skagit" as opposed to the traditional skagit head? Why type of rod/casting makes the compact skagit more useful than a regular skagit setup. Thanks.

·
You're only so smart as what you choose to share.
412 Posts
heres a couple of differences... a) the compact skagit has different lengths for different grains, instead of the same set length for all your grain weights. this makes sense to me because rod lengths vary from 11' - 14'+, and its nice to have lines that are relative to that. it should be noted though, that the "compact" skagit is actually the exact same length (27') as the "traditional" skagit at 660/650 grains. b) there is a 30 grain difference between heads, instead of 50. this lets you dial in your setup better, period. c) the compact skagit also has a legitimate front taper, which translates into a sharper wedge.

that said, i still have my "traditional" 650 that ive just cut the running line off of and turned into a head, but just never fish anymore. the difference isnt so much as to how they fish or cast, youll use the exact same casts with both, and theyll both turn over chickens and t-whatever the hell you want.

·
Just swimming around, chasing fish in Beervana
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it seems that the compact skagit is designed to be a more powerful version of the skagit line. Is that a proper assumption. I checked some of the taper specs and I can see your point about the compact having a legit front taper. Looks like that thing will turn over a brick.

·
still an authority on nothing
2,194 Posts
shorter heads for shorter rods.
A little taper makes for smoother casting.
Either way, K2 is right--skagits will basically turn over a small to midsized pickup truck.

·
guide fish don't count
599 Posts
Rick,
What about taking say 4 skagit 275 grain heads and hitting them with a heat gun. Might take forever but you could revolutionize fly fishing for trophy trouts!

·
"junkyard spey"
517 Posts
It takes mass to turn over mass. Rio 750 skaj with a 7.5' cheater, short heavy leader, and a 15' stick.

For the super heavy chickens I would forget anything with a front taper.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Medieval catapult system? Maybe get someone like Steve Godshall of SpeyWerks to weld you some custom 12 wt base line with integrated weldable zink tip material to get you that 1000 grain head weight you seek. It might be an ugly two colored line but it should be possible to make such a beast and likely would turn over pretty big birds. Out of curiosity what is the wet grain weight of your biggest flies and what stick are you launching all this mass with? I have no idea what to suggest but your dilemma is a fascinating one. My last sugeestion is a Midieval catapult system. I might even be up for the creation of such a device and identify methods of mounting it on your drift boat.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I am currently using a 720 gr. compact skagit and a (10,11,12) -5 foot intermediate cheater, and 13 ft. of T-17 . Or 13ft. of T-15 all thrown on a 9140 Echo TR.

I would have to weigh my flies to see how heavy they are wet but they are 8-10" long with x-large lead eyes and .030 lead wire wrapped full shank....and they are anything but sparse. Usually bunny , birdfur, and marabou....plus schlappen etc.

And this is the best set up i have come up with so far and it still is not enough.

·
2,879 Posts
I am currently using a 720 gr. compact skagit and a (10,11,12) -5 foot intermediate cheater, and 13 ft. of T-17 . Or 13ft. of T-15 all thrown on a 9140 Echo TR.

I would have to weigh my flies to see how heavy they are wet but they are 8-10" long with x-large lead eyes and .030 lead wire wrapped full shank....and they are anything but sparse. Usually bunny , birdfur, and marabou....plus schlappen etc.

And this is the best set up i have come up with so far and it still is not enough.
Could it be that the flies are a little overkill?

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Rick, I gotta see you chucking that setup. Hope you'll be at the Hoh Down so we can see those chickens and rabbits fly.

·
Fishin' to the end, Oc.P
2,311 Posts
"I am currently using a 720 gr. compact skagit and a (10,11,12) -5 foot intermediate cheater, and 13 ft. of T-17 . Or 13ft. of T-15"......................that actually is a very sweet setup.................kinda looks really familiar........just kinda

Rick......I have a T- 39 x 12ft long(cut it off a chuck&duck)......................that might work to turn over your whole turkeys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Adipossessed!
879 Posts

Take 12ft strips of CCT and weld them together every10 or so inches. Hell, take two 510 airflo skagits and do the same thing. That should work

Are those flies for Steelhead or browns?

·
Registered
308 Posts
I think ditching any line with front taper to throw big flies is misleading. The very fact that the Compact Skagit has front taper makes it cast with a tighter loop than the standard Rio Skagit. This generally translates into better line speed and better transfer of energy towards the target. The Rio looks and feels more like a lob than a cast and that has to effect distance and turnover.

One thing that no one seams to touch on is that the T-materials are limp, even though the grains per foot match or are slightly lighter, than the tip given Skagit head they lack the rigidity to transfer that energy down that level tip material effectively and often need to be coaxed into opening up all the way.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.