Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After Ford Fenders loaned me a pair of Force Fins to use, I checked out the price. Wow! And then I looked around and discovered that Outcast had this possible knock-off version of the adjustable Force Fin. Much much cheaper!

So is there anyone out here who has done a side-by-side comparison? You kind of have to wonder if the difference in price vs difference in performance is such that the Outcast is the better deal. However, if the performance (and quality) difference is considerable, then a person with the $$ might have to go with the Force Fins.

Anyone here can help me out?

--Dave

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
Dave, I bought a pair of the Outcast fins because I was appalled at the price of FF's, a trolling motor is cheaper! They came with a tangle of webbing and buckles that just didn't look professional or efficient at all. I threw away all of that rat's nest and bought 4 NRS 1'' buckle straps. I fit the straps to where the original straps had been then matched them to my boots to achieve the best location for the buckles. Then I glued them to the bottom of the fin so they couldn't move or catch on anything. The straps wrap around the bottom of the fin so once they are glued in place they are just bombproof.

Getting the fins on is the easiest possible thing as you just place your foot in the open fin, feed the webbing through the buckles and tighten. With two NRS straps on each foot losing a fin is no longer a possibility. I have pictures and have posted them here before, would be happy to repost.

Now for the fins themselves. I bought these as backups for my FrankinFins since the FrankinFins are decades old. I have always felt that ForceFins were so highly regarded because few people had experienced anything better. And fin development has certainly lagged behind almost every other aspect of fly fishing. I was hoping that the Outcast fins as a clone of ForceFins would be a viable alternative to the more spendy fins but I think both fins are inherently weak. The Outcast fins have gone on the shelf to serve their backup duty and the FrankinFins have remained the top dog. With dual durometer rubber they are strong to kick and soft to finish making it easy on the legs and ankles. Some version of these should have been produced years ago but with everyone buying ForceFins like it was a duty-and at insane prices-there has been little incentive to design something better. FrankinFins have a single NRS web strap with the quick release buckle and have never come loose over their nearly 20 year history.

If you spring for the Outcast fins I would 100% suggest that you upgrade to NRS straps immediately. I never even bothered to get my Outcast straps wet-they went directly to the landfill.

Ive

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
I guess I'm just old-school & stubborn, but once I found these I've never even considered using any other fin; I can't see improving on something that works so well. I still have the original pair I bought back in the '80's, although I did have to repair a tear in the boot-well after many years of use, so now they are spares. the price has gone up to $118, but I picked-up a new pair on sale for $89 last year. Apart from being heavy (which isn't a factor in the water), they are durable & out-propel any fins I've ever been around (including folks who were wearing Force Fins). The rubber straps will "check/crack" over time, but spares are readily available. I have never had a fin slip-off while in-use (I ensure my flats boots feature a heel lug designed to prevent that occurrence.). I wear a 3XL with my size 13 Magellan flats boots & they would easily accommodate a boot a couple sizes larger. I do keep my fins stored indoors & out of the the sun/heat.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
Thanks Tim, I was going to look those up today but you saved me the trouble. The pictures shown were taken before they were equipped with the NRS buckles. I still have 2 of the old Caddis soft rubber fins that I can use for spares if anything happens.

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
I use to use the fins made by Creek Co. They are still priced cheaper than most others out there. When I bought them the first time I only paid 20 bucks for them. Now they run about $45.00 dollars. Quick release buckles on the back and adjustable straps. Always worked for me when I float tubed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had a pair of force fins I purchased ~15 years ago. My dog knocked one off my boat this past spring and I ended up needing to replace the pair (I was a bit heart broken and one fin does not work...). I ended up purchasing the outcast brand of fins, since force fins are twice the price. Truthfully, the outcast fins are not as nice as force fins. But if you consider the price, I'd recommend the outcast fins.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Here are a couple of examples of budget fins from the thrift shop, modified by adding grommets and laces. The blue fin has been my go to for no wader tubing, until my wife just got us all us divers snorkeling sets and little neoprene socks. The laces make the fins adaptable to different waders or friends!

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
The outcast fins are identical to force fins. They are pretty nice though and much easier to get on and off as well.
Not identical; the Outcast fins fit over your boots, the Force Fins (non-adjustable standard) fit over booties.

A few subtle differences. Like ScottD said, the Outcast aren't as nice as the Force Fins, but not enough to justify the difference in price, IMHO. I just sold a pair of ML Force Fins that were a little too large for my daughter and replaced them with the Outcast fins.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Here are a couple of examples of budget fins from the thrift shop, modified by adding grommets and laces. The blue fin has been my go to for no wader tubing, until my wife just got us all us divers snorkeling sets and little neoprene socks. The laces make the fins adaptable to different waders or friends! View attachment 123582
Nicely done, MacGyver!!

·
Justified
4,940 Posts
May not be much help (maybe to others), but I took my first pair of Caddis fins, and modified them.

Remember those first Caddis fins? The ones that weighed about 15 lbs a piece?
Well, I cut a serious V, like those found on the Force fin, and it was like nothing I've ever experienced.

Took less than half the energy to kick across the lake, and I didn't disturb the water as much, when trying to sneak up on fish.

Only wish I had thought of it 25 yrs ago!
:p

Reactions: Jeff Dodd
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.