Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Don't do it. Someone wise took me fishing on the Skykomish this past winter. After realizing how dangerous I was with a two hander he proceeded to make corrections to my horrible casting stroke one flaw at a time. Once he had a few things worked out and the casts were at least fishable he told me "DON'T CHANGE WHAT WORKS". That advice probably does not apply to you, you seem to know a few million things about tying and fishing that popper thingy. Just telling you what you told me.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
So Sad, so sad!!!

Boo Hoo, Boo Hoo!!!

The fly worked too well and is now devistated from success!!

No longer pretty! Just chewed on and tattered!

I will make you a nice shadow box for it and you can hang it on your wall and reflect on the days you did the dance together!!

Dave

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
So Sad, so sad!!!

Boo Hoo, Boo Hoo!!!

The fly worked too well and is now devistated from success!!

No longer pretty! Just chewed on and tattered!

I will make you a nice shadow box for it and you can hang it on your wall and reflect on the days you did the dance together!!

Dave
Leland,

I think you should take him up on his offer! I think adding a "new one" and the "old one" in a shadow box would be awesome! May it rest in peace. Then again, sticking that baby in your cap would/could continue to bring you luck ever after!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Interesting you mention that Leland, I was contemplating starting a retirement home for mojo flies like that. Send it my way and I will assure you it will be taken care of.

PS, Can I buy a "youngster" popper at the bellevue store? I couldnt find them in the catalogue.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Leland,

I think you should take him up on his offer! I think adding a "new one" and the "old one" in a shadow box would be awesome! May it rest in peace. Then again, sticking that baby in your cap would/could continue to bring you luck ever after!
I actually like the "new & used" idea for a shadow box. That would look pretty cool on the wall and remind you of fishing days. Unused flies just remind me that I haven't been able to go fishing.

·
39 Posts
Maybe it’s the right move. A master cannot settle for only one masterpiece. If Leonardo had been satisfied with his earlier masterpieces, then the world would not have been graced by Mona Lisa and many more of his masterworks. :)

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting you mention that Leland, I was contemplating starting a retirement home for mojo flies like that. Send it my way and I will assure you it will be taken care of.

PS, Can I buy a "youngster" popper at the bellevue store? I couldnt find them in the catalogue.
They're not an Orvis item, they are and Orvis Bellevue fly.

Leland.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I keep a few "retired flies" on the visor of my truck. The one on the drivers side has flies that worked on recent trips. The passenger visor has special flies like the one that hooked twelve Pinks in 2 hours last summer, and an Orange Stimulator that hooked three Summer-run Steelhead from the same run on the Green about 10 years ago.

The wife refers to this as ******* decorating, but the flies bring back memories and always pick up my spirits.

Tom

·
Registered
455 Posts
I keep a few "retired flies" on the visor of my truck. The one on the drivers side has flies that worked on recent trips. The passenger visor has special flies like the one that hooked twelve Pinks in 2 hours last summer, and an Orange Stimulator that hooked three Summer-run Steelhead from the same run on the Green about 10 years ago.
Only "a few"?? :clown: I have over 30 retired flies on my visors dating back to 1994 when I purchased my truck, with pedigrees like "largest steelhead of my life (egg sucking bunny leech; Skagit)", "75 smallmouth on the same fly (brown woolley bugger; Grande Ronde), 15 coho over 10 lbs in one afternoon (orange volcanoe; Alaganak slough), 9 steelhead hooked swinging in one day, (secret pattern; SE Alaska), 20 rainbows swung in an afternoon (black sparkle woolley bugger; Brooks River), etc... Most of them don't have pictures to go along with them, but I can see the fish and the setting for each as vividly as if I was standing there today. I have thought about mounting them in a frame with descriptions, but just haven't gotten around to it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.