Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this basket on another forum and thought it looked pretty good for a boat based angler:

This is the best and cheapest solution I have found for keeping my fly line from snagging on everything from my feet to the steering arm of the motor. This is the 'A' version which consists of a 16" diameter by 25" tall pop up laundry basket with a folded wet towel in the bottom to keep it from blowing away. Total cost about $10 (plus the towel). In the DIY section I have posted pics of the improved 'B' model.

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
Cool! That looks like the same kind of stripping basket Roger Stephens posted about. Your photo is the best I've seen,though. That sure does look like "da kine." I like that it collapses for storage/transport. I'm going to have to get one of those.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Put some "egg crate" foam in the bottom. Keeps the tangles down.:thumb:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just use a round, tall kitchen waste basket. I can set my rod in it with line stripped out when I'm moving between spots. Already owned it, so didn't spend a dime on it. That laundry hemper is trick looking though ...

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm guessing it's somewhere in here but I didn't spend much time looking: http://www.mbcboats.com/fusionbb/index.php?

I think that the object in the water is either a cormorant or anhinga swimming away from the boat with it's head down looking for fish. I didn't take the picture, just lifted it from that forum 'cause the shooting basket looked like a good idea.

Cheers,
JR

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Saw this basket on another forum and thought it looked pretty good for a boat based angler:

This is the best and cheapest solution I have found for keeping my fly line from snagging on everything from my feet to the steering arm of the motor. This is the 'A' version which consists of a 16" diameter by 25" tall pop up laundry basket with a folded wet towel in the bottom to keep it from blowing away. Total cost about $10 (plus the towel). In the DIY section I have posted pics of the improved 'B' model.

Thanks for sharing! I use a Rubbermaid collapsible leaf carrier, which looks like this but solid materials, not mesh.

Also, to hold the basket down better a person can use a hunk of hose filled with sand. It coils nicely around the bottom of the basket.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Below is a photograph of the stripping basket which I use in my boat. The stripping basket is made out of a collapsible clothes hamper. Plywood is placed in the bottom of the basket to keep it from being blown out of the boat when motoring. Eggshell foam is used to minimize line tangles. Using the highest eggshell available will minimize line tangling the most.

Roger

·
Registered
58 Posts
The problem with most LMD's (line managment device) is that you can't run from one spot to the other.When I want to move I simply strip all my line into the unit, drop the rod in and go. Mine also holds water which really helps with tangles. For the last 6 years I have never striped a fly on a boat without my buckets.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Wow! Nice set up, Gregg! Well thought out and efficient! :thumb:

Jc :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I use the same bucket. It's as you say, useful when running from spot to spot. It helps keep me steady in the boat, if some wakes us. :mad: I use my hard bucket to carry gear back and forth. I've also use the collapsible buckets. You can run with the rod inside, just as long as it's weighted, and behind you to keep the wind from tipping it over. I carry the collapsible as a backup/spare. Anything is better than no LMD.

briansII

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.