Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one got any info on this lake? The one above Roslyn and Salmon La Sac. I'm heading out on a week long free form fishing trip(no agenda, just lots of time, courtesy of my impending joblessness) and I saw this lake while driving by and thought it looked like a nice fishing hole. How about Taneum Creek? My buddy is hunting up that way and I'll be linking up with him later in the week. Anyways, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Cooper has a few nice fish and quite a few fun, healthy 7-13 inch fish. It can be slow but generally the large east bay of the lake near the weeds and the shallow neck just east of the boat launch and west of the East bay are always good for smaller fish. If you are looking at the lake from the bridge over the outlet on the East end of the lake the "neck" of the by should be obvious. Try the neck and the shore as it bend south from the neck. You should also try an intermediate or full sink line in the same area but about 30-40 feet from shore. Caddis, Midges, and Buggers and other standard lake patterns work well. In the fall, you might find brookies or browns (there are a few) in the big outlet (on the East end of the lake) or near the small creeks that flow into the lake. I have also had some luck stalking fish in the shallows from shore. Its worth spending some time. But, that said, there are lots of good (better)lakes this time of year. If you have the time the Desert lakes or Chopaka might be calling your name. Taneum has small fish but its a nice place for a quiet afternoon.

Also, if you dont mind scrambeling and you want to explore new places, you should try Martin Lake up off the Taylor River. There is no trail and I have heard it is a pain to get into, but I have two friends who hiked in a couple of years ago and found a lake full of 14-15 inch fish. If you go take a float of some kind because I am told bank access is tricky. (One of my buddies fell off a small cliff he was traversing and broke his (fly)rod.) Also, give us a report on Cooper or wherever you end up.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Fish till ya drop.
Then suck it up
and fish the evening hatch.

Wow I find it surprising that someone else found Martin Lake. I fished it a lot years back. Always good for lots of fistey 12-15" rainbows, which I think are naturally propogating. Anyhow I recommend C&R for this fine lake or if ya must just take a couple for dinner.

The trail up from the road is NOT maintained and it's actually nonexistant in places. I recommend anyone seeing this post and deciding to try it take a topog map and compass or as an alternative stay within earshot of the creek coming from the lake.

It's one of the better (richer) high lakes I ever fished, but not real scenic. Shore fishing sucks except up by the inlet in spring. Take a raft or floattube.

·
Be the guide...
5,190 Posts
I did the martin climb - it's not for wimps or those who get lost easy. My german shepherd had a hard time getting over the fallen logs and steep rocky\muddy\loose hill climbs. I fell more than once and was very warn out at the top. Be very careful, pack light, and pack your rod in a tube....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.