Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
born to work, forced to fish
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just skinned a coot out yesterday. The primaries look real interesting as they are a slightly different gray than mallard wings and also a bit softer. The flank feathers are nice for the bigger trout sized flies.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Coot flank feathers are used as a heron substitute for spey flies. The smaller feathers make nice soft hackles. If you're going to cure the skin in salt or borax make sure that it's in there drying a long time as they are fatty and you don't want the feathers getting greasy. I bought a skin on ebay once and it was in pretty bad shape when it arrived as the grease had transferred to the feathers. I ended up plucking it and had to wash the feathers 3 times to get the grease removed.

·
Registered
7,329 Posts
Coot flank feathers are used as a heron substitute for spey flies. The smaller feathers make nice soft hackles. If you're going to cure the skin in salt or borax make sure that it's in there drying a long time as they are fatty and you don't want the feathers getting greasy. I bought a skin on ebay once and it was in pretty bad shape when it arrived as the grease had transferred to the feathers. I ended up plucking it and had to wash the feathers 3 times to get the grease removed.
Sorry @zen leecher aka bill w to rip of your thread but I was wondering if @Squamishpoacher would post a SBS for the Squamish Poacher (please). I met Joe Kambeitz one year while fishing the Thompson, he was kind enough to give me one of his Poacher's. So, thank you in advance!

·
born to work, forced to fish
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry @zen leecher aka bill w to rip of your thread but I was wondering if @Squamishpoacher would post a SBS for the Squamish Poacher (please). I met Joe Kambeitz one year while fishing the Thompson, he was kind enough to give me one of his Poacher's. So, thank you in advance!
You know... that's a good idea. I'd like to see the sbs myself and also see one using coot flank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.