Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Let's Go Brandon!!
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are two neat tips, courtesy of a really nice guy and really, really good tier - Chris Williams, that I picked up at the Oregon FFF's Albany Expo.

1. Great hook for tying emergers: J:Son Short Shank Ultimate Dry Fly Hook from Hareline (bigger eyes, relatively stout wire and it's configuration lets emergers hang in the film like they should). I ordered a bunch on Saturday when I got back.

2. Instead of branded dubbing wax, use mouse trap glue .......kid you not. Buy a glue-style mouse trap, scrape off some of the glue onto a "holder/applicator" you've made from a plastic milk jug (cut about a 4" x 1.5" rectangle piece, fold it in two.) Place the scraped glue into the crease of the plastic "holder/applicator"; one swipe on your tying thread will let you dub better than you've ever been able to do before........ Try it.

The Albany show, at least when I was there on Friday from 9:00 AM to about 2:30PM, had lot's of trout fly tyers working; more so than in the past when it seemed there were just too many (for me, anyway) salmon fly tyers "painfully" - and s-l-o-w-l-y - tying flies that no one in their right mind would tie on and throw in the water.

If you like fly tying, you should try to get to the Albany show sometime. Happens every March. They're in their 35th, or 40th year or something like that, so the Expo "has legs" and tyers come from all over the West Coast and Mountain West to tie. Lots of fun and you'll always pick up tips and new patterns that'll improve your tying and fishing. I try to go every year.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
I just watched an old video of Jay Nicholas tying clousers in 2008 at the expo...he mentioned something about using super glue...when he wants to glue his fingers together. [paraphrased of course] HA!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.