Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read quite a bit about the Cowichan River. I know how to get there and know of the potential, but haven't been there. Has anyone been there? Would it be worth the trouble to go out there in June?

Bryan : :LOVEIT

G

·
bryan,
i fished it earlier in the spring... a nice river that also gets a steelie run. unfortunately, when i fished it, it was running high and dirty. some pretty good access down by the falls, but you'll def. want to float if possible...

s

·
Registered
53 Posts
hi,
I live about an hour away from the Cowichan. It's an awful river! Don't waste your time!
Don't believe the rumour that it's the only river on Vancouver Is. that you'll find huge natural brown trout and, anyway, the river is way way too high to fish in June - even with a trawler.
You'll never catch a fish on the 'fly fishing only' section of the river near Cowichan Lake - and those huge cutts they say that roam the lake are as mythical as Nessie!
The winter steelhead, the chum, and the coho are all just rumours started by the locals to get your Yankee greenbacks!
It's absolutely not true that this is the best all round river in B.C. and that you can get fish in it all year round; and whatever you do don't contact Islander Outfitters in Victoria about this river 'cause they'll tell you all kinds of lies as well!
Lucky you posted this enquiry. Think of all the time and money I've saved you. No, your far better off to head for those salmon rivers in outer Mongolia - get as far away from the Cowichan as you can get!!!

nic

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.