Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
River Drifter
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever fished the cowlitz behind Packwood? Are there places to put in a drift boat or is it better to have a sled? Is it even open for fishing that high?

Any info would greatly be appreciated!

BIGREZ

·
Pat Coleman
127 Posts
There are no put ins that I know of above the campground on Peters RD. west of Randle. I've lived here all my life and and have only heard of people rafting down the Cowlitz up by Packwood. The farthest you can get a sled upriver ( when the river is good to fish) is just above the bridge in Randle. There is alot of debris in the river from that point on and several shallow riffles. The only point between Randle and Packwood that a person might be able to launch a boat would be the Cora Bridge and you would have to carry a boat down to the river and even at that it would be too shallow downstream in a few spots. The river holds a few fish in places, but the fishing hasn't been good the last few years with the amount of flooding we have experienced the last couple years. They haul salmon and steelhead from downstream up to Packwood in the winter, but the bait fisherman pretty much take care of those. I hope that helps.

·
Pat Coleman
127 Posts
Just above Riffe between the 108 Bridge and Cowlitz Falls Dam is well worth it when the landlocked salmon are running, right now. The river is a little off color but should clear up in few days. Even Scanewa offers some good fishing from time to time. As far as the river itself the only thing I fish for in the Upper Cowlitz is whitefish in the winter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.