Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This evening I took my 8yo son out to local creek for his first fly fishing trip. We go fishing a lot, but he's been asking me to go fly fishing for a long time.
I brought the 3wt and tied an elk hair cadis on for him then showed him how to cast. When I say cast I mean reposition his fly upstream. After a couple casts he hooked and landed his first fish on a fly, a little 8" cutt.
He didn't catch any more fish at that spot and missed a couple at the next spot. The we proceeded to hike a ways upstream, most places where the trail came near the water we couldn't access it.
Finally we came to a nice little area that had a few little pools that he could fish. In two of those pools he proceeded to catch ~20 fish and lose many more. They were mostly in the 6-10" range with some larger ones lost. There was even a decent sized fish chasing one of the little guys he hooked.
All in all he had a lot of fun and is already ready to go out again.
Water Underwater Fish Marine biology Ray-finned fish

One of the many fish he caught.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Good on you for starting the boy on this! Mine is 7 and I'm thinking of the same thing although I need to find a place that will keep his attention. Mind if I PM you for some info? Dry flies would be the most exciting route to go I imagined.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
It is the experience that counts. Your son had a GREAT experience (as well as you did)! It will always be remembered - but the fish may get bigger over time LOL.

I can remember when the first flies my daughter tied actually caught fish. She still asks me if she needs to tie more flies. The answer is always Yes! Something for you to look forward to...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.