Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crescent Lake.

I suppose that everyone who has ever fished the Olympic Peninsula has never failed to study Lake Crescent carefully. Being bored and with a winding road, I guess it would almost impossible not to wonder about it. I never see any rises. Never hear much about it. Pressure is almost nil. What about this lake?
Well, for the opener, I'm going to try to find out. I will never say again to myself or to anyone else for that matter that I have not fished the lake. It's the idea of catching a true wild trout that has me all psyched up. Just one fish. That's all I need. OK, I don't even need that. There are few lakes as beautiful as Crescent Lake.
But where to go on such a massive lake?
Where to you put in your boat?
Are motors ( I have a small 5hp Honda) legal?
What flies?
What else?
Bob:dunno :dunno

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
Good question Bob. I have had the same questions as I passed by many times. I think your plan to go there is great. I have always heard the trollers go for them deep, but what about us flyfishermen? I think I would try a full sinking line, unless you can find some shallows dropping off to deep. Anyway, sounds interesting and I wish you luck. Would like to know how you did. I imagine it might be interesting when the weather warms more. I wonder what they feed on. I wonder if there are shrimp. I wonder I wonder. It does seem a mystery. They are the Beardslee Trout, the only kind in the world. Good luck and let us know. It might be worth contacting the regional biologist.

·
Be the guide...
5,190 Posts
Bob - hope this helps a little:

You'll be targeting native Beardslee Rainbows and Lake Cresent Cutthroat (Crescenti) - both unique species to this lake. Apparently they grow good size by feeding on Kokanee (you may try to catch some of these using techiques described in the recent Kokanee posts...). The record Beardslee was around 16lbs and the Crescenti about 12. They are usually caught DEEP off of trolled spoons or plugs off of downriggers. Hooking into one of these amazing fish is pretty rare unless you are a hard core local who knows all the ins and outs... But I hear they fight harder than a native steelhead on steriods...

For a fly fisherman - your best bet would probably be stripping streamers around the inlet streams. I havn't tried there yet, but like you, have been wondering about it...

There are several resorts on the lake that have boat launches and even boat rentals - Log Cabin Resort, Fairholm Resort, or Lake Cresent Lodge.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't make myself very clear (frequently the case). The plants I'm tallking about are like those we have around here on the Peninsula. Our lakes get hot in August, most are shallow, and the fish perish. Also, they are too alkaline and few bugs will grow. The result is that we have very few carry overs, unlike the dry side boys. Those planted fish are great! Without them, all lakes that have no year round stream, with at least some ingress or egress, and suitable gravel would be devoid of fish unless they were stocked. So stocking does have its place. May a lowly tank job becomes a super fish in a few years and cannot be told from a wild fish.
Yet, the idea of catching something that has always been there and probably will always be there is exciting in a special way. I will probably resort to electric trolling with a long lead core line and a wooly bugger or muddler of some time. Some of my steelhead flies will get a bath.
I've got some salmon flies that are large enough to be table fare.
Don't know about writing about how I did because the Beardslee fish are very rare and maybe even next to being endangered. But those that respond to this post and, of course, my site buddies, if they ask, will get a report.
Bob:thumb

·
Registered
273 Posts
Bob - I posted some info on this lake about a year ago. I've tried it several times on my way back from Neah Bay/Sekiu after doing some salmon fishing. Although I haven't given it the attention I probably should have (too focused on salmon), I did figure out that there is one heck of a response by the fish to spruce moths (at least I think that's what they are...I first thought they were some type of caddis but I caught some and they are definitely moths) during late July and most of August.

Right around dusk you'll see multiple rises up tight with the shoreline and under overhanging trees. The first time I saw this I pulled over, tied on a size 6 stimulator and proceded to lose flies to both fish and trees (my casting in tight spots needs a bit of help I'm afraid:( ) When I finally changed my tippet to 2X (or 3X - can't remember) I landed some fish....nice ones!

I haven't seen this phenomenon every time I drive the lake, hence I don't target it specifically but now on every salmon trip to the Straits I make a point of bringing extra trout flies and a 5 weight rod in addition to my salmon outfit.

That lake is super clear and the fish move very deep during the day so I would think the best time to use streamer patterns for them would also be at dusk (or dawn). One spot that would be worth checking out is the stream that empties into the lake near Lake Crescent Lodge. I stayed there one spring on a non-fishing trip and saw some large fish (not sure if rainbows or cutts) on some redds when I hiked up that creek. Awesome sight to behold...they were the size of salmon!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Years ago fished with a local at Cresent Lake.
He caught fish, I didn't.We were trolling in a small boat.
He used a salmon pole 4 oz lead and a a shiny lure. he fished at a minimum of 30 ft to max of 150 ft.
I used a Spinning reel and and Christmas tree set-up

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
Bob, I don't know if this helps, but a friend of mine was staying at one of the resorts there while attending a conference last summer. He told me that a couple of employees of the resort were having success with flies at an inlet stream at first light...they were back in from fishing early also. Off the mouth of Barnes Creek is supposed to be good.
I drove by that mysterious body of water two weeks ago on my way around the peninsula...ended up trying Beaver Lake, which I have always driven by on my way to Neah Bay and also wondered about. I trolled an olive-bodied spider pattern and caught a dozen or so cutthroat "dinks"(all 7" to 9 1/2") before giving up hopes of connecting with anything bigger. Would be fun on a lighter set-up, but I only have a 6 wt. Lots of risers all day and couldn't go 20 yards without getting a hit. Nice vicious strikes, but not much of a fight after that on my 6 wt.(with the exception of the 9 1/2" which was a scrappy little guy). I am now in the market for a lighter set-up, perhaps a 3 wt.
Good Luck on your exploratory foray!:thumb

Jimbo

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, thanks fellas for the kind attention to my query. You may have pulled me off with the remarks about clear water and dawn. Too old for that anymore. So now I don't know what to do. Forks will be too high with the runoff and all and it's also a bit late. Maybe I'll just go down the street and do some cutty fishing. If I hit a little pod of them and they have any size, well, it's very hard to beat that anywhere.
Bob:thumb

·
Patrick
1,805 Posts
I fished there last Sept. While I did not catch any of the big boys. I did catch some nice fish in the middle of the day trolling slow a woolly along the shore banks and creeks. I caught them all on a full sinking line. Since my arms were tired at the time from fishing already for 7 days straight I fished along the cabins and along the freeway itself. The fish I caught were all between 11" and 15" but the color was vivid. I plan on going again sometime for another try.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
ALL CRESCENT LAKE FISHERS:
be careful how you fish because years of overfishing and a limited spawning capacity have the future of these unique fish at risk. Check the regulations as i am pretty sure they dont allow downriggers, and it is catch and release only. this is a VERY fragile resource.
:professor Tom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.