Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went down to the Crooked River for a few days. Was bummed out by it all. Country was beautiful; the river near perfect. But a very bizarre thing occurred: something I have never seen in over sixty years of fishing. The river was so full of little fish, I thought I was fishing in a hatchery. They were everywhere! Most were two to four inches.
I got about 7 or so hits on a midge rig (two flies, a #20 dry fly on top and a midge hanging about two feet below, also a size twenty). But the water was boiling with rising fish. There were a few bigger fish, flashing for nymphs about 3 ft. below the surface. No dice on those. But these tiny little minnows seemed very selective and refusal were the rule of the day. How could little trout be so sophisticated?
The answer is pressure. Tons of it. The US. someday ( I saw two new yellow pickups with a US on the logo on the doors) had groomed the place similar to a mini golf course. Little raked trails to the river, covered with a little layer of crushed basalt for a non-slip surface. There were no little rugs in the spots that I'm sure see fisherman every day, but there might as well have been. Is this some sort of joke?
Won't be back.

·
Flaccid Member
3,899 Posts
what do i know, im just a kid

that seems really odd. it doesnt seem like they would stock 2-4 inch fish. i wonder if they were some type of smolt migrating downstream and you just hit it at the wrong time. of course i dont know anything about the river system so anything i say is purely a geuss. sorry the river was lame, did you hit any other fisheries?

~sean~

·
Registered
216 Posts
That's too bad. I have had a couple decent days on the Crooked before. Never anything like you described, however. It's sounds like some kind of attack of the smolts. Maybe they were attracted by the dog of the same name in your vest pocket!;) ;)

Better luck on your next adventure.

Tom

·
Registered
193 Posts
i fished it on monday and wednesday. got there early and got a good spot monday. first cast with orange scud was a fat 12" redside. didnt catch a thing for a while. moved into the shallows by the side and saw lots of fish. using a 18 biot comparadun bwo had a big rainbow on that jumped 3 times and broke off fly. caught 2 more rainbows in same spots. wednesday only had an hour. soo crowded you wouldnt believe. fished same spot. extremely windy. only got one fish on bwo dry. really nice looking river but very crowded even for mid week.

Bob, what days were you there? i fished with my dad ina black trailblazer. im only 15 and my dad is just learning.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I fished Wed. and Thursday, Friday and then came home on Saturday.
I don't think these were classic smolts. Smolts generally bite like hell and at most anything. Also, I don't think any anadrodmous fish can reach the Bowman dam because of the Pelton dam.
Maybe they had a bunch of fish too small to stock anywhere so they threw them in the Crooked. Also, I fished with an extemely capable flyfisher and he was skunked as well. Other flyboys reported the same thing.
You can use gear but only fly fishermen were on scene. The head man at the fly shop in town told me that I should not expect much over 6". He said they electroshocked all the fish and the big ones all died.
He was furious about the whole thing. He said that Oregon Fish and Game was out of control and that anybody above the rank of warden should be fired. I said the same thing should be done in Washington.
Windy with a spit of snow, I headed home with the idea that I would stop at Maupin and fish the Deschutes, but, while clear, it was rolling from bank to bank, featurless, and not very inviting so I went home to stew, to regroup, and to digest this regrettable episode. But fishing is like that, dreams, always dreams, and then a good sock froom reality.
BLawless:bawling

·
Registered
193 Posts
hmm.. i wonder whenthey electroshocked. i caught 4 fish at least 10" and saw two fish well over a foot. Something must have changed becuase on wed. i saw alot of fish being caught. that river did kinda dissapoint me,since i heard people talking about 30-40 fish days:dunno

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.