Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Love da little fishies
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fished RF Friday and Saturday.

RF had the most cars/people fishing it that I have seen in the 20 years that I used to enjoy it. Yesterday all three parking lots were over capacity. Crazy

Why? Maybe the Seattle Times Outdoors outed it on Thursday.

Rumor also had it that a Spokane fly fishing club was meeting there yesterday.

Gravel Road between main highway and upper hatchery was in the worst shape i have seen it over the years. Way different than my last trip in December when the road was snow covered but smooth.

Went to a live play in Soap Lake. It was entertaining. I highly recommend checking out the schedule on line at Masquers theater to see if you can catch a play on the same weekend you fish RF. The bar across the street has good bar food, ate there before the play Friday night. We called and got reserve tickits, then paid for them at the play house.

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
I fished RF Friday and Saturday.

RF had the most cars/people fishing it that I have seen in the 20 years that I used to enjoy it. Yesterday all three parking lots were over capacity. Crazy

Why? Maybe the Seattle Times Outdoors outed it on Thursday.

Rumor also had it that a Spokane fly fishing club was meeting there yesterday.

Gravel Road between main highway and upper hatchery was in the worst shape i have seen it over the years. Way different than my last trip in December when the road was snow covered but smooth.

Went to a live play in Soap Lake. It was entertaining. I highly recommend checking out the schedule on line at Masquers theater to see if you can catch a play on the same weekend you fish RF. The bar across the street has good bar food, ate there before the play Friday night. We called and got reserve tickits, then paid for them at the play house.
I recall a few trips there where the parking lots were pretty darn full and the creek started to take on a Blue Creek like persona. This was the period right before the early lakes opener and only worsened those years when they were plugged with ice. It sounds like one of those years.

As for fishing club outings, I also recall a trip to Dry Falls, on the opener when, cresting over the rutted road affording the first look at the lake, I hit the brakes and just stared... into a sea of flotilla and a postage stamp parking area stacked with cars and trailers. I retreated. Later that evening at the campground, I heard several clubs chose DF's as their meet up. The next morning, I drove into the lake at O-dark early.

·
Love da little fishies
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeh, i am no stranger to combat fishing as i live in Puyallup and gear fish the pinks during the early season with the masses. It is kind of fun if you are a regular and get to know the guys in the line up.

But i am not used to sharing RF with the masses. It put me off a little but we still had fun and heard coyotes bawling at sunset last night.

I told my fishing buddy i was praying for a big nasty snow blizzard for Saturday morning, but the day turned out sunny and bright with lots of mud for the afternoon

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
We probably fished next to each other and never knew it. I was one of the very polite guys who always waited for the downstream guy to cast first ;).

·
swollen member
877 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Rocky Ford can really only be fished in the winter. Spring through fall, there's just too much vegetation around, and especially in, that spring creek.

And since you gotta fish in winter, late February is the easiest part of the winter to fish the Ford. The plant life is at its ebb. The weather's not as severe as winter weather can get in Grant county. You can kinda feel spring in the air, but it's definitely still winter on the ground.

So yeah. Nice weekend in late February. Crowded.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Rocky Ford can really only be fished in the winter. Spring through fall, there's just too much vegetation around, and especially in, that spring creek.

And since you gotta fish in winter, late February is the easiest part of the winter to fish the Ford. The plant life is at its ebb. The weather's not as severe as winter weather can get in Grant county. You can kinda feel spring in the air, but it's definitely still winter on the ground.

So yeah. Nice weekend in late February. Crowded.
Even when there's a lot of weed growth in the creek, it still fishes well. There are plenty of active fish all year, you may just have to change techniques a little. High summer water can make things significantly tougher if you don't fish the creek a lot (ie. knowing every nook and cranny it has), but it sounds like the irrigation water may not have as much effect this year as the last two.

·
Love da little fishies
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yeah I fish that creek where Spokane guides rent. I still have not cracked the code on that skinny water but have fun being alone and trying to get a strike. rf much easier for me since I have spent time om it sincem90,S

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.