Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone interested in maybe fishing this river late summer? After seeing the article in Northwest Fly Fishing...I might have to take a long drive! Access does not seem to be an issue...and even suggests not floating, but walking the bank...therefore cutting a lot of gear out of the 'big picture'.

·
Les Paul Lover
259 Posts
I too read the same article and am planning a trip over the last week in June to the 4th of July.
Northwest Flyfising has pretty reliable info, I took a trip to the Clearwater|Lochsa after reading an article on that river. The fishing was great, lot's of 10"-16" West Slope Cutthroats. It stands to reason that the Crowsnest would be even better considering it's alot further away.
A freind of mine in B.C. has fished it and said it can be worth the trip.:thumb

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
You guys are in for real treat. The "Crow" is a beautiful example of what a river can be when given tender loving care. The ranchers, Province and local flyfishing clubs have placed bank barbs throughout the river that result in beautiful riffles and pools, arranged for stiles and paths to the river, and I would be surprised if you found any paper or trash on the banks.

I went there for the first time long ago after the first article appeared in Fly Fisherman and I happened onto the Green Drake and yellow sally hatch. There is also a good-sized salmonfly hatch in June. I remembered catching a lot of beautifully marked wild rainbows.

Vic Bergman, the owner of the Crowsnest Angler, in Bellevue (yes, Bellevue, Alberta) wrote both articles and has done a few tv shows on the Crow and Oldman rivers. You should make it a point to meet him, he's a real jewel of a guy. Make sure you ask about a lake at the summit of Crowsnest Pass, oddly called Summit Lake on the British Columbia side, I believe) – real hogs.

Leland

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
The only problem with the Crowsnest is that if you take a map of the West and then find a string with a pin (put this on Seattle) on one end and a pencil on the other (put this on the Crowsnest), and then draw a big circle, you will see a thousand choices in Monatana, Idaho, Oregon, Washington of course, and B.C etc.
I want to go long and far away but there are just too many choices. How come anything that's really good is so far away? Or am I wrong here?
Bob:thumb

·
Les Paul Lover
259 Posts
>
>>
>"How come anything that's really good is
>so far away? Or am I wrong here?"
>Bob:thumb

I agree that there is a ton of quality waters between the Crowsnest and here. But it seem's to me that in my own experience, the further I get away from major population centers the better the fishing get's. Whether that means hiking further in than most people or driving further to a quality river this just seems to be the case.
That said though, I just like the adventure of fishing a new area. I have fished quite a few of the major fly fishing mecca's in the western states and B.C and never
been to Alberta, so I am looking forward to the trip and might just have to force myself to fish my way home thru B.C.,Montana Idaho and Eastern Washington.:thumb

·
Registered
747 Posts
My 2 cents

Almost any river in BC/Alberta can be great but you have to be mindful of runoff, which can last into almost August and the long drive. That said, you do have a ton of options between here and the Crowsnest and you would be passing a lot of fine water along the way. The Crowsnest does have great fishing but I wouldn't make it a destination fishery given all the other options--maybe you could do a circuit of different rivers in ID,MT and BC/AB to make the drive more worthwhile.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the imput...I was informed by our "Canadian Expert" in the office that it is roughly a 7 hour drive from Bellingham to the Alberta border. But like someone else said...there is a lot out there to offer within 7 hours!

I think however it might be worth the 7 hours over 4th of July weekend (since it is a three day weekend) and most of the places around here will be PACKED!

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I spent a July 4 holiday in the town of Browning, MT. It was as wild and wooly (and downright dangerous) fourth as I've ever spent. If you can get past that, the Blackfoot Lakes hold an incredible number of HUGE trout.

Leland

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.