Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone privy to info on the snow level right now? How high (elevation) are the lakes accessible?

The highway cam at white pass looks clear.

thanks,

Tight lines.

·
Remember when you could remember everything?
7,182 Posts
You're unlikely to get an accurate answer for several reasons. First, you didn't mention how high or where the lake/s are you're thinking about visiting. Second, whether or not any given lake is iced out depends on it's unique depth, location and exposure. As a result, it's impossible to predict that all lakes at 4000 feet will be ice-free. For example, a 4000 foot lake in broad sunshine with no surrounding mountains or trees will always thaw before another 4000 foot lake that's shaded most of the day. The same goes for the approach trails and roads.

K

·
Joe Streamer
4,156 Posts
One set of resources I use to estimate whether high country lakes and streams are fishable are ski resort webcams. For example, I know that Stevens Pass base area is at about 4,000' altitude, and they have webcams on both the front and back sides of their mountain. Looking at both, I can see right now that the snow line is probably at around 5,000', so even if lakes in that vicinity are ice-free (keeping Kent's cautions in mind as well), the land around those lakes and approaches through shady forest trails are still likely snowy. Ditto Crystal, Snoqualmie Summit and Mission Ridge. Together, you can get a pretty good idea of where the snow line is across the Cascades.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
One set of resources I use to estimate whether high country lakes and streams are fishable are ski resort webcams. For example, I know that Stevens Pass base area is at about 4,000' altitude, and they have webcams on both the front and back sides of their mountain. Looking at both, I can see right now that the snow line is probably at around 5,000', so even if lakes in that vicinity are ice-free (keeping Kent's cautions in mind as well), the land around those lakes and approaches through shady forest trails are still likely snowy. Ditto Crystal, Snoqualmie Summit and Mission Ridge. Together, you can get a pretty good idea of where the snow line is across the Cascades.
man - this is a great tip - can't believe I haven't thought of this one.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Add this site to your webcam links. http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snotel/Washington/washington.html

Click on a site and you get an extremely detailed report. http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/nwcc/sntl-data0000.jsp?site=672&days=7&state=wa

3 inches of snow on the ground at 4030 foot elevation in the Snoqualmie Basin.

I can't cut and paste a decent looking report, oh well.

D A T A R E P O R T
** Provisional data, subject to revision **
06/28/10

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Change In
Snow Water Snow Snow Water Change In
Site Name Date Time Equivalent Depth Equivalent Snow Depth
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OLALLIE MEADOWS 06/21 0000 15.0 69.0
06/22 0000 13.7 38.0 -1.3 -31.0
06/23 0000 11.9 35.0 -1.8 -3.0
06/24 0000 10.1 32.0 -1.8 -3.0
06/25 0000 8.6 24.0 -1.5 -8.0
06/26 0000 6.9 22.0 -1.7 -2.0
06/27 0000 5.1 20.0 -1.8 -2.0
06/28 0000 3.0 11.0 -2.1 -9.0

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Was at this lake yesterday (Sunday). 5000' elevation, northern exposure on the East Side.
View attachment 32298

A good amount of snow still on the ground in sheltered spots made getting around the lake a little challenging, but I did catch a couple of small but beautiful cutthroats here. Probably could have done a little "better" if I had used a nymph, but I stuck with drys.

View attachment 32299

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.