Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished some new (to me) water off N Seattle yesterday to no avail. Conditions and timing were not ideal, so it was more of an exploratory trip I suppose. Fished for a few hours in the sunny, windy afternoon at the beginning of an incoming tide.

Part of the problem I suspect was that the tide was so low that many of the rocky areas and oyster beds were exposed, leaving mostly sandy bottom to fish. Still learning, but anyhow, it was nice to get out in the sun, check out a new spot and get some casting practice :)

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,855 Posts
Good job getting out and I like your attitude about learning regardless of the lack of success.
More folks need to take your approach when it comes to fishing the beaches.

Now you have a mental (or journal) note that the beach you fished may not fish well on extremely low tides.
Next time you fish it hit it after the high if possible to see if the results are different.
SF

·
Mad Flyentist
1,764 Posts
Also since you got a good look at the exposed structure you'll know where you should start next time when the tide is higher.
Structure can be subtle, if there isn't Nice big rocks along the beach, just look for little shelves or potholes along the beach. Somewhere that a cutt might just sit and hug the bottom.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks SF and Pat Lat. I appreciate the encouragement.

I know how to pay my dues :) ...done it plenty in a variety of fisheries. Just hard to get enough time to fish to get into the catching part when starting on a new fishery. I did get into some coho last summer though and that was great...SUCH a bummer about this year.

On the positive side, I saw two juvenile bald eagles up close as they rested on the beach.

·
The wanted posters say Tim Hartman
2,100 Posts
On the positive side, I saw two juvenile bald eagles up close as they rested on the beach.
Fish on the line or not, sights like this make an outing memorable!

Good on ya, mate!

Reactions: Tugs

·
Should be OlympiaFarq now...
436 Posts
I just started fishing for SRC this January (first picked up a fly rod last June and I couldn't take waiting for summer rivers any more). I've explored all over the Sound - Olympia, Hood Canal, North Seattle, West Seattle, etc. The vast majority of the time, I don't see a thing, but something keeps me coming back. I was out at an extremely low tide recently and made a point to take a few pictures of the exposed structure so I can reference them next time I go back.

If you're ever south of the city and feel like a session of the blind leading the blind, let me know. I finally found a few good spots recently.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.