Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of trying for the Cutt Slam this summer. To accomplish this one must catch, in 2 days, one each of a Yellowstone Cutt, Snake River Cutt, Bonneville Cutt, and a Colorado Cutt.

Wyoming sponsors the slam and, if successful, the fish and game folks give you a plaque.

However, I do not want to do this alone. Hence, this posting is intended to start a dialog with others who find the idea intriguing.

Feel free to contact me offline (via email), if you would prefer.

Cheers,

Michael
[email protected]

·
Registered
248 Posts
When you say colorado cutt, are you refering to Westslope Cutt?I have caught all of the above(not in 2 days of course) except the Bonneville Cutt. I haven't heard of the "cutt slam" but it does sound intriguing. Do you have to accomplish this in Wyoming?

~Ryan

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
>When you say colorado cutt, are you
>refering to Westslope Cutt?

Could be, but the information came from a fly-fishing special on Outdoor Life Network (OLN) and the fisheries biologist for Wyoming they interviewed used the term Yellowstone Cutthroat.

>Do you have to accomplish this in Wyoming?

Only if you want the plaque.

Cheers,

Michael

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Copied from:
http://gf.state.wy.us/HTML/news/020628pr.htm

WYOMING'S CUTTHROAT SLAM PROGRAM ATTRACTING GROWING INTEREST
For Immediate Release

CHEYENNE -- Anglers who have been thinking about completing Wyoming's Cutt-Slam will have no better opportunities than the coming few months, according to fisheries biologist Ron Remmick.

Remmick, who supervises fisheries in the Green River area for the Game and Fish Department, said cutthroat waters in western Wyoming should be in good condition in the next several weeks and will remain good for the coming summer and early fall months.

The Cutt-Slam recognizes anglers for catching Wyoming's four subspecies of cutthroat trout -- the Bonneville, Yellowstone, Snake River and Colorado River cutthroat trout. Successful anglers receive an 11-by-17-inch certificate featuring color artwork of the subspecies, the angler's name, dates and locations of catches and verification by the G&F fisheries chief.

Now in its fourth year, the program was started at Remmick's suggestion to draw attention to Wyoming's cutthroat management program. Since then there have been hundreds of inquiries on how anglers can participate.

Through June 2002, 148 anglers have received their Cutt-Slam certificate. Fifty-nine are nonresidents, representing 25 states and two foreign countries.

To qualify, an angler only needs to catch and photograph each subspecies in their Wyoming native range, and provide the date and location. The photographs and information can be verified by any G&F fisheries biologist or sent to the G&F in Cheyenne. There is no minimum size requirement or time restriction. Catch and release is encouraged.

Information on where these fish are found is available from all G&F offices or by contacting: Wyoming Game and Fish Department, 5400 Bishop Blvd., Cheyenne, WY 82006; (307) 777-4600. The information can also be found on the G&F Web site at gf.state.wy.us.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
>Michael, it says there is no time
>restriction. Is that correct or
>is it two days like you said?

Well, I also reread the note and it sure didn't say anything about a 2 day time limit - Tho' I know there was a 2 day limit for the ESPN/OLN show. However, maybe the limit was self-imposed....

Anyway, an extensive google found lots of stories about the cutt slam, but none described a two day limit. Just lots of chest beating, cool pictures, bodacious streams, and beautiful little cutts.

Cheers,

Michael

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.