Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
previously micro brew
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed over the hump and up the Columbia to fish the Okanogan area with Roper & Islander. Hooked up with Islander at about 0930 at Aeneas on Thursday, Roper showed up a bit later at 1130. Islander had arrived late in the day on Wednesday and managed to fish a couple of hours. He hooked a big one that he couldn't get up and it eventually broke off. There was one other on lake, turned out to be FishenFella, who I hadn't seen in quite a while. He had a couple break offs fishing deep, under a bobber. We had success deep, as well, on full sinks / sink tips with WB's / Carey's. One in the shallows on a damsel nymph. Nothing of size for us this day, nice fish though, 14-16". Took off and headed north.
Friday found us at Lost lake chasing brookies. Islander had good success with his Carey around the sunken logs. Roper found his sweet spot around the lily pads, hooking fish on successive casts. The brookies were beautiful, with the bight orange bellies and white fringed fins. Some nice ones, not by me, up to 16". I had limited success compared to those two but did manage a few brookies and one nice 16" fat, bow. No one else on the lake.
Saturday, we headed the other direction to try for Lahotan's on Blue. Let's just say the "we" did not catch fish but, one of "us" did. One fish was caught in the island area while the others were caught in the deep water on full sinks. The fish that showed on the depth sounder were deep - 25'+ and, generally, on the bottom One of the fish was smaller, 14", while the others were rather nice 18-20", no big ones. There was one break off on a big black thing fly. One vowed "never again". We wrapped up early so that the "cast" could be turned into a "blast".

I tried chronies on all three lakes without a take down. Didn't spend much time on them since there were no hatches to be had at any of the lakes. Very few surface rings on any lake. We pretty much had the lakes to ourselves.

Finished Saturday with some very good pizza in Oroville at Town Pizza. I would recommend is as a great place to have a bit and a local, Oroville Brewing, beer - the Tamarack was excellent.

Good to hook up with both Roper and Islander. Roper, thanks for the stellar hospitality.

D.O.G. - MB
(Sorry for the long read.)

·
aka Dave Hoover
1,350 Posts
Isn't it Alpine Brewing there in Oroville or did a new brewery open up?

·
was Pram-Man
779 Posts
Scott, Thanks for the nice report. I'm Still heading over the 17th and will be following in your footprints. Thanks for the heads up on the Pizza joint, now that Mavericks is closed, may give it a shot.

·
aka Dave Hoover
1,350 Posts
Great... just wanted to know if I was possibly missing new brewery. : )

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
Scott, I haven't heard of Fishenfella for a long time. I thought that he went to the big pond in the Sky. He tied me up some scuds about six or seven years ago to use in RFC. I still have all six, I think.

·
previously micro brew
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jim:

FF be doing good. Still fishing in tennies. I lost track of him for a bit when he headed to the coast for a while. Been a while since I fished with him but I seem to run into him every once and a while. It was nice surprise to see him again. As for his flies, he is very generous with his patterns. He handed me some killer damsels. I promptly lost one on to a break off on the fist cast with the bug. Hold onto those RF scuds.

·
Slainte
6,656 Posts
Just another DOG checking in to report on the Okanogan trip. Scott fairly well summed up the action, even keeping anonymity, what a guy! Let's just say I didn't lose any flies...

Lost is really pretty this time of year, the tamarac are turning golden, the aspen too. The brookies are brightly colored and fight better than in the spring. I think the extra weight they put on helps.

Pizza at Hometown was a great wrap up to a fun few days. Scott and Steve are good fishing partners and down right fun. I wish the "blast" part was more productive. Steve and I walked in the rain carrying our shotguns on Saturday. On Monday I bumped two, but they were out of range and I passed on the shot. They are getting spookier as the days go by.

Pheasant and duck are around the corner though, so there's still time to hunt...and fish.

Later...

·
Steve
2,349 Posts
Had an excellent time with the DOG's. Scott is being to polite. He's the ONLY one that caught fish at Blue Lake, there...I said it....but I will return and be victorious....some day. Great friends, great food, great fishing, great area, what more can you ask for.

·
Make my day
4,820 Posts
Sounds like you guys had a good time.
Steve, I can't believe you pulled the old "hook a sunken branch and make it look like I have a big one on only to brake it off " trick on those guys.
:rofl:

I'll be heading over next week. Think I'll make the drive up the grade.
Jeff

·
Steve
2,349 Posts
Sounds like you guys had a good time.
Steve, I can't believe you pulled the old "hook a sunken branch and make it look like I have a big one on only to brake it off " trick on those guys.
:rofl:

I'll be heading over next week. Think I'll make the drive up the grade.
Jeff
Actually they fell for it twice!! I did get to see one of the "branches" though, but not for long.

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
Sounds like you guys could have used a tutor at Blue.....Scott, it was your fly that we did all the damage with two weeks ago. It took most of the brookies we caught at Lost and at least 9 of the Lahontans we caught at Blue. A helluva fly. For a modest sum I'll share the pattern with you.....:D

Ive

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.