Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never been accused of not having an opinion. Maybe this one will save someones life.

This was triggered by the thread about PFD's and float tubes and some of the replies.

I was initiated in the wonders of the flotational qualities of neopremes while duck hunting in Nov. on a pond on the east side. Yes, the things will float you. The problem is they make your legs more buoyant than your upper body. Lets quess what happens then. If the legs go up your head goes down, oops my vestigal gills don't work.

Some sort of upper body PFD, preferably one with a collar is pretty important. Or an up dated will on file! You may think that the PFD you are SITTING on will do the trick. Wrong, you won,t have the time to get it on. And for those belly wrap around things that is asking for even more trouble. The last thing you want is more flotation around your waist.

If you haven't tried this do so. Don't believe me try this out. With a good buddy wade out into some still water, no more than waist deep and belly flop towards shore. Here is a hint, roll over on your back. You will be glad you have someone there. Only one flopper at a time. After you have tried this think about what would happen if your bellyboat or any other boat thing failed out in the middle.

Neopremes and or all waders are nice but beware. If you wear waders then you owe it to yourself to do the belly flop and learn what you need to learn.

Be safe, be smart.

:beer2

·
Just an Old Man
35,203 Posts
I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

I have to ask you this question. How come when you write things to this site,your type or fonts come out different that everybodys elses and the smily icons wont work.. This is only a question,I like the info you have.:thumb

Jim

·
Retired Mod
10,990 Posts
You must be wearing bootfoot

Your boots will hold air and float you up higher of course. I prefer to use stockingfoots. Keeps your feet down. Actually, it's much better to be floating and trying to keep your head up (which isn't hard) then to be wearing rubber packs or goretex waders and sink like a rock and trying to get yourself to air. I've been swiftwater rescue certified for whitewatering, and it's alot easier to float bring your body up with your arms then be sunk on bottom and trying to bring yourself up. Plus, if you do have this problem, let your waders somewhat fill up with water. Will add weight to your feet, and level you out. YES, you will still float. When I used to hardcore whitewater, we wore neopreme outfits head to toe, including zip on neopreme shoes. But key is to get some water in the neopremes. I had similar problem, except I was fishing a slot and slipped. I was able to float somewhat upright with a vest on and rod in hand, and still make it back to shore in somewhat swift current (but my training helped too in that instance).

But overall, I'd rather be in neopremes submerged then anything else anyday. Key is not to panic, keep your feet in front of you and arms pushing you forward to keep your head up. Yes, a PFD is a good way to go as well. If you're in a float tube, you should always have one on anyways. Actually, in any watercraft you should have on on, or nearby. Running rivers, you should have buckled up, especially running hard water. I'm not a "on at all times" type. If something is going to happen, it will. Most slack stretches, I won't buckle up or have on. Plus, having one on isn't a factor of saving your life either. I've pulled many a bodies on rescues that were sucked under by hydraulics or sweepers with high bouyancy life vests on. When it's your time, it's your time. Not saying you shouldn't have one on. But I only put them on when I know I need them. I guess it's my years on the water, I know when you have to have them on rivers. But I always have my kids wear theirs. I can go onto a bigger spiel, but I'd be more longwinded then I already am. LOL

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

You made my point and with emphasis! Yep I wear boot foots and your point about getting water inside is really important. I hope a few others pick up on that. And I too will wear nothing other than neopreme and a PFD when I think it is really needed. especially when I fish or hunt by myself. Your point about being trained in white water rescue makes my case that if your wear them figure out intentionally how to get yourself right side up. I learned the hard way.

and to Old Man I have no idea why the font is different and why the icons don't always work. A computer wiz I ain't. Enjoy your input too. But we both had better watch out for the dictionary police
wet line

·
Registered
16 Posts

Good info for all of us in float tubes or other inflatables. I have been wearing the workvest type III PFD since some of the park rangers have been checking for them when a float tube is in use. :thumb

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.