Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps someone can shed some light here. Another round of postings on a major UK based fly board where folks have ordered up custom made rods from him and are getting nothing but the 'run-around' on the status of their orders.

Had this been a 'one-off' I'd have taken a pass (as in posting here), but several folks raising the same issue (all in the UK) has me worried.

Anyone have any info on what may be going on so I can pass same onto the UK?

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
I found this:
http://www.davemcneese.com/info.html
I made one phone call. I asked about the two rods. Dave acknowledged his mistake in overlooking their delivery. He said they were done long ago and that he made a mistake having set them aside but overlooked their packaging and shipping. He also shared his plan of resolution with me, not that he had any reason to feel obligated to do so. There is always more to the story than any one person can or will tell. I have a few custom rods that are absolute gems and have a fit and finish like no other. I can appreciate the time involved to create such a rod by hand. Are we all not human?

I hope this diversion during my morning break re-invigorates the idea of a hand finished custom rod in others as it has in me. I've never dealt with Mr. McNeese, but some will believe because of this post that I have.

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Fred, you must know that I respect your input on so many topics here and on other boards, but I'm mystified. Why not ask him, Dave McNeese, what is going on? They were not my rods. I once criticized a company for a product that I felt was not performing properly. Someone here that I know and respect greatly told me to contact them, not post it to the masses on the interweb about how unhappy I was. I read the bad press on this site and another and I thought that I'd make a simple phone call to see if there was more to the story. It seems there was. Again, Fred, they are not my rods, but I was intrigued by a pretty interesting first post by a gent from down under and your posting and bringing it up in three different threads. I don't know what connection or experience, if any, you have to Mr. McNeese. I have only one phone call for about 10 minutes this morning. Have you called Dave McNeese? I'm just saying that is perhaps a better method to get answer to your questions than asking me or anyone else on the web to "shed some light" or "have any info". His contact information is in the link above.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"I made one phone call"

Amazing how often that's all it takes to resolve an internet bitch fest regarding customer service.
Chris look up and post back WHERE the fellow lives. Bye the bye, the word "internet" is a noun and requires a 'capital
letter.' Hint: Half the world away.

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
[this comment deleted because it would have resulted in me getting banned or parked for clarifying the difference between proper nouns and nouns when FAE was lecturing the Friendly Administrator, and slinging Internet $h!t about somebody you've not even taken the time to contact] Sorry all. I am a disgrace, and there probably are at least a half dozen grammar, spelling or syntax errors. I hope this thread gets smoked.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mumbs,' Dave is (and I think I've already said this) a local Icon of sorts, but something very wrong is going on. I have no clue what, or why, nor do I give a rats fanny. But when this kind of 'press' keeps popping up (and now spilling over into US based Fora) there is an issue. And have I called Dave on this one? No, but I have done so twice in the past. Until I'm asked to personally 'inter-seed' :)>) )on a personal basis (direct calls), I won't. But this ongoing drum beat is not a good thing.
Fred

·
Steelhead-a-holic
950 Posts
IMO, having corresponded with Dave McNeese a bit and knowing others who know him well, he's a stand-up guy and a fine craftsman who's fly reels are works of art. I'm sure the same can be said of his rods. Don't know anything about the rod delivery issue (and don't really care).

Anyone remember when he gave away a bunch of immaculately tied Drain's 20 flies to members of this site?

Mumbles, a friendly bit of advice. Don't try to save people from themselves - it's a losing battle. ;)

Fred . . . put down the Scotch and step away from the keyboard.

Cheers!

Brian

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Fred, kindly stop beating the drum then. If those in the dispute wish to settle over the phone (and halfway around the world is not a big deal if it is a big deal to settle) let them. It only makes it look like you are fanning the fire to keep the flame burning, and that is not anything that I figured you'd be doing. Hear something is "going on" go post it on the Internet? No, go to the source or sources.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
i have a whole rack of mcneese custom rods from the 80s. dave was never prompt in his rod building but eventually would get the work done. that said, dave IS an icon who made a huge mistake back when loosing his entire business, lock stock and barrel. if he is back making his custom rods, more power to the guy, he has been through a great deal since way back when.

·
Team Umiak
410 Posts
Dammit..took that post work nap after fixin dinner. I popped the corn, salt, and a sprinkle of parm. WTF..nuthin since 1656? Are yous guys asleep at this hour?

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
Everybody, enough said okay! this doesn't help anybody.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
i have a whole rack of mcneese custom rods from the 80s. dave was never prompt in his rod building but eventually would get the work done. that said, dave IS an icon who made a huge mistake back when loosing his entire business, lock stock and barrel. if he is back making his custom rods, more power to the guy, he has been through a great deal since way back when.
My "go to rod" for two decades was also a Dave McNeese custom he made for me, also in the mid 80's. I remember way back then waiting for it a little longer than I would have liked, but it was well worth the wait. It was beautifully finished and we shared a lot of outings together. Finally blew up on a fish a few years ago.
Dave's a good guy that builds top shelf stuff.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I ordered a Sage Xi2 10wt with extra tip a few years ago. Wanted a nice king set up for Alaska. Was to take a few months and my wife ordered it in Dec for my birthday in March. I got the rod the following Nov. It took 11 months to receive my rods. Will never buy anything from him again. With that said, the rods are incredible and he did a fantastic job. However waiting a year was too much for me. He was moving into a new home and had his plate full. That is life. But I would not buy another rod after my experience.

-Dan

·
Addicted to Cane.......
184 Posts
Unfortunately I have not had great luck in dealing with Dave as well. I ordered a reel in 2007 that was to be delivered in a few months. I sent a sizable deposit ( nearly the cost of the entire reel) and then waited. Along the way I heard numerous excuses from "I got behind because of an excessive number of orders from the U.K. when the value of the dollar declined" (although he was still taking orders) to "I'm moving", "Just moved", and "Been ill". I finally received the reel this spring, a full two years after it was originally due. Once received the reel was outstanding and I have no complaint there.

I can only speak from my personal experience, but I would not make another purchase from Dave. Although it is likely he will eventually deliver, the wait and lack of communication is not worth it.

Jim

·
Registered
680 Posts
I just stumbled onto this and must comment. I heard about Dave McNeese a few years back. Very interesting guy and quite a legend in the industry. I needed my Xi2 12wt blank built and contacted Dave. He offered to built it for $150 which I thought was a sweet deal considering he was providing the guides and cork. I actually thought it was hilarious it took me five (5) months to get the finished rod back. I probably called Dave several times after my e-mails went unanswered. Every time I would call, he would answer the phone and apologise for not completing the rod because of something going on at his farm there in Oregon, but he was always gracious and would promise it by some date and it would never show up until the last promise he made and poof it was finally here. The finish was outstanding with quality throughout. Was it worth $150? Yeeeep. Dave even sourced a proper sock and a Sage factory tube for me ($30 extra). Would I buy again? Probably, but I would go into it knowing he is going to take five months to get it done. If I ever make it back to Oregon, I'm going to try and meet him. He sounds like a very brilliant guy and is probably quite a character.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.