Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am deployed to where there is very little water and I was dreaming bout fishing and doing some google earth scouting and ran across Day Lake in Skagit County. The only info I can find says "closed for a decade except for hike in fishing" and that was it. Does anyone know anything bout this lake? (Access, species....) Thanks!!

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
Yeah. There are two roads that lead to it. But both are gated and locked. Many years ago when it was opened up for people to get in there and fish there were some bigger than usual Brook trout in the lake The two roads in, one was off the Lake Cavanaugh(sp) Road and the other is off the South Skagit Hiway.

Before people started dumping all their garbage you could drive all over the hills. I spent many a saturday driving around in them hills. Now your lucky if you can get off of any main road.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Day lake is about 8 miles south of the Skagit (Hamilton) and drains to the Skagit via Day Creek. That said road access was via the Deer Creek Drainage; I'm guessng it would be a 10 or 12 mile hike/bike ride from the Lake Cavaugh end (the shortest route). As you would guess give the lack of access the shoreline is undeveloped without a formal access. The area has been heavily logged.

The lake supports both brookies and rainbows; the beaver ponds on the south inlets used to produce some nice brookies. It is a decent size lake (135 acres) at about 1600 elevation.

Tight lines
Curt

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
There was a half assed access at the north end. I used to go up there in the summer time.

Also if you can gain access to the creek, you can find some good fishing there. Got lost in the woods up in there one summer night. You had to park on an old logging road and hike down into the canyon to fish the creek. Well the two idiots I was with didn't want to leave because the fishing was good. SO we couldn't find the way out. Spent a night in the woods. Good thing I smoked then or it would have been a long night in the dark. We had a small hat sized fire to keep a little warm.

The fish in there were eager to bite on anything. No matter what you threw in the creek they would attack it.

To bad there isn't any fishing like that any more.

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
I don't think you can get in there anymore. It's gated on both ends. There is one gate off the Lake Cavanaugh road and I believe that it is also gated off the S Skagit highway. You used to be able to drive all over them hills on old logging roads. The timber co. gated it off to keep people from dumping garbage in those areas.

·
Ignored Member
12,111 Posts
Used to be able to bike in. Weyerhaeuser owns most of the land leading to and around the lake. What they don’t own I believe Grandy Lake Forest Association owns. You could check with them on access.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.