Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was a great day on the river Sunday though cold. The reason for my report is to talk about the number of fly guys were on the river. I know older guys like myself would like to have the river to themselves, but that doesn't bother me. There was a time when I knew most every person I saw on the river. Now I don't know anyone. After talking to Kurt Kramer for a short time about a drift boat at the boat launch we were using, I realized that the last time I attended a steelhead meeting it was just us same old guys. I have a great time with all of us and would love the new fisherman on the river to join in.

·
Registered
239 Posts
A friend of mine fished the Skagit on Saturday. Air temp was 17 and water temp was 34. No thanks; I'd rather sleep in. We fished on the coast Sunday, air temp got above freezing and the radiant heat from direct sunlight felt almost balmy. And more significantly, the water temp was 42.
And the fish were aggressive!

·
guide fish don't count
599 Posts
It was a great day on the river Sunday though cold. The reason for my report is to talk about the number of fly guys were on the river. I know older guys like myself would like to have the river to themselves, but that doesn't bother me. There was a time when I knew most every person I saw on the river. Now I don't know anyone. After talking to Kurt Kramer for a short time about a drift boat at the boat launch we were using, I realized that the last time I attended a steelhead meeting it was just us same old guys. I have a great time with all of us and would love the new fisherman on the river to join in.
I was on the river Sunday morning as well and I agree there were quite a few folks out for a 20 degree day in January. More rigs and trailers in Hamilton than I used to see mid February when it was open. Some friends got back from the Hoh and they thought it was pretty crowded for January. Warmer on the coast of course. The popularity of steelhead fishing has grown exponentially since the Skagit closed. A lot of us that continued to fish the coast have not only contributed to but have witnessed the mayhem develop over time. When the Skagit does open for C&R, the old rods of the river are going to be in for a rude awakening when steelheaders-version-2017 shows up. Folks are going to have to start thinking outside the box if we want a quality fishery that doesn't dry up like an A9 Chinook opener.

Just curious, which drift boat were you talking about? Wondering if it was my weird one..:)

·
Ignored Member
12,111 Posts
Many who fished Sunday might actually have thought this through a little. River is currently running low and clear. A warming trend and significant rain storm is forecast for the region. Flood warnings have been issued for much of the area. Most of the Skagit closes the 31st. Sunday may well have been the last day to fish the river.

·
guide fish don't count
599 Posts
not sure which forecast you're looking at but the ones I've seen suggest the system will see the best conditions of the early season yet by Friday. Like most others, I just thought there was a fish out there for me to catch on Sunday but boy was I wrong! FYI this will likely be the last time folks get to fish birdsview in winter for years...

·
Ignored Member
12,111 Posts
not sure which forecast you're looking at but the ones I've seen suggest the system will see the best conditions of the early season yet by Thursday. Like most others, I just thought there was a fish out there for me to catch on Sunday but boy was I wrong! FYI this will likely be the last time folks get to fish SH in birdsview for years...
I guess if one doesn't have to work fishing until Thursday is an option.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm hoping by next Wednesday it will be fishable . Weekend no way too many guys. If Sunday was bad I hate to see the river when it warms up. My point in the first place is you don't have to do much just show up to a steelhead meeting. If your plan is to just catch bull trout the rest of your life then stay home. Or just practice your casting .

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
As Rimmy mentioned I was on the Skagit Sunday. A friend called in the AM about hitting a couple spots; I agreed to go as long we didn't hit the water until the temperatures had warmed. I don't know as I age (will be 70 on my next birthday) whether I getting to be a more of a wimp or maybe just smarting but I find I avoid harsh conditions. Was booted and walking into the first spot at noon; sun was out, temperatures were in the upper 30s and no wind; in short a pleasant afternoon. January has always if for wild steelhead but there is always a chance at a steelhead and this time of year isn't the best for bull trout there usually a few are willing to cooperate.

Besides us two I saw 10 other anglers. Saw one other bank angler (a fellow fly angler) and the rest were in personal water craft or other floating devices. Only two were gear anglers the rest were fly anglers with most fishing two handed rods. About 1/2 of the anglers were what I would call young and the others gray beards.

A couple comments about the river which was clear and in excellent shape. The massive intrusion of sand from the 2003 flood continues to work its way downstream and there appears to be an overall important in the mid-reach of the Skagit. A concern was with the success of this years chum run. As Skagit regulars know this fall was another in a serious of poor chum returns. Unfortunately the fish that spawn during the first half of the November did so in some high water. I took the time one bar to examine the old chum redds and found that the eggs of a significant portion of the redds likely froze during this prolong cold snap. Many of the redds were approximately 2 vertical feet about the current river level.

I agree with Rimmy those involved in the struggles to protect resource and perhaps fish on that resource seems to fall mostly on the older generation of anglers. Yesterday we were discussing that situation and agreed that part of the problem is that many of the young generation anglers just have not "earned" the access to these fisheries and just don't seem to have a lot of appreciation of what it took and will take to provide what we once enjoyed.

Curt

·
guide fish don't count
599 Posts
I agree with Rimmy those involved in the struggles to protect resource and perhaps fish on that resource seems to fall mostly on the older generation of anglers. Yesterday we were discussing that situation and agreed that part of the problem is that many of the young generation anglers just have not "earned" the access to these fisheries and just don't seem to have a lot of appreciation of what it took and will take to provide what we once enjoyed.

Curt
I agree Curt. Could you expand on what you mean by "earn" access to these fisheries?

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
My take on earning access to new fisheries is just that...putting the time to learn them. That means rather than relying on an internet report, you spend the coin to buy the gas and take the time to go check it out for yourself. It means taking notes/records of conditions for future reference. It means hiking up a new spot to get river access that most others won't do because it is too much effort. It means helping others to learn the process too, not just giving or telling them the easy answers but rather help them to learn/earn it for themselves. It means going fishing even when conditions are not great, at the bookends of the seasons so you come to appreciate the opportunity of just being there, even though it is not prime season. It is knowing the history of the area and recognizing the pioneers that blazed the way for future anglers and the next generation. It is having respect for the river and the resource. Slowing down and taking the time to stop and look around and notice things like dewatered redds, hatching fry, an eagle eating a carcass. It is being content with what the day and the river offers...not the attitude of "ripping lips" and high fives so you can go back and brag to your friends about your effectiveness as an angler. It may sound corny but to me me, that is earning access to fisheries.

·
9x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
6,400 Posts
part of the problem is that many of the young generation anglers just have not "earned" the access to these fisheries and just don't seem to have a lot of appreciation of what it took and will take to provide what we once enjoyed.

Curt
With all due respect Curt, outside of non-human causes, the current shitty state of affairs is almost entirely due to the old (and older) generations as opposed to the 'young generation' you are referencing. Talk about not having appreciation....yikes.

·
Wishin I was on the Sauk
4,449 Posts
Golfman44, reread what you said please. Most if not all of these older generations have been fighting for our rights and resources for decades. Ignorantly blaming the older generation for the policies of the govements decisions shows you don't have a clear understanding of the past or future. Yikes get a clue!

·
9x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
6,400 Posts
Golfman44, reread what you said please. Most if not all of these older generations have been fighting for our rights and resources for decades. Ignorantly blaming the older generation for the policies of the govements decisions shows you don't have a clear understanding of the past or future. Yikes get a clue!
Yes, regs played a part, hence why I stated 'outside of non-human causes'. You can't have it both ways and selectively blame the regs when it fits your agenda and then hide behind them when you are at fault. Most obvious example would be just because the regs state you can harvest wild steelhead doesn't mean it isn't your fault for doing so. Someone recently posted the video of Herzog holding back tears talking about how badly they all mistreated the resource just a few decades ago. That wasn't the government's fault.

To be clear, 'you' in this case is people in general, not bk paige.

edit: heres the video

1 - 20 of 149 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.