Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking at this website(dealsonthefly.com) and the have a different deal every day but there is no info about them really, Heck it dont even say where they are located. Has anyone ordered from this site? Or is it a scam?

Thanks Eric

·
AKA Joe Willauer
2,136 Posts
I've never used them, but the deal they have on their right now is innacurate. The boot they show in the picture is the freestone, which is a $129.00 boot retail, and they are saying it's the guide model, and claiming it retails for $189 so who knows what your actually getting.

·
A collector never stops collecting!
4,895 Posts
They haven't been around long. Here is his Whois info:

Registrant:
Dustin Carlson (dealsonthefly.com)
47 West 10600 South

Sandy, UT 84070
US

Registrar: DomainPeople Inc.

Domain Name: dealsonthefly.com
Created on .............2009-12-03-22.50.31.336000
Expires on .............2010-12-03-22.51.07.000000
Record last updated on .2009-12-14-10.49.02.851000
Status .................ACTIVE

Administrative Contact:
Dustin Carlson
Dustin Carlson
47 West 10600 South

Sandy, UT
84070, US
+1.8015729005
+1.8775635052
[email protected]

Technical Contact:
SiteProduct Web Services
Administrator DNS
1 N State Street

Chicago, IL
60602, US
+1.3122362132
+1.3122361958
[email protected]

Domain servers in listed order:
ns25.domaincontrol.com
ns26.domaincontrol.com

(dealsonthefly.com)

·
-
226 Posts
I've never used them, but the deal they have on their right now is innacurate. The boot they show in the picture is the freestone, which is a $129.00 boot retail, and they are saying it's the guide model, and claiming it retails for $189 so who knows what your actually getting.
I blew an e-mail in to them, based on Joe's remark, and he did come to the conclusion there was a snafu. Changed the pic and the price. Check it out now.

·
Stephen Mull
650 Posts
Similar to all of the sites run by backcountry.com: steepandcheap.com, tramdock.com, etc. Those sites do a whole bunch of items each day though. I'd love to see a site like these that did the same volume for fly gear. It'd be a helpful way for fly shops to get rid of sticky inventory.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Similar to all of the sites run by backcountry.com: steepandcheap.com, tramdock.com, etc. Those sites do a whole bunch of items each day though. I'd love to see a site like these that did the same volume for fly gear. It'd be a helpful way for fly shops to get rid of sticky inventory.
I think the issue is getting enough stuff to be able to make it worthwhile. You need to have a certain number of jackets or pairs of boots or whatever to make something like this fly. For most of the "deal a day" type sites, I think they get the lions share of their products from the manufacturers themselves, or at the very least distributors or perhaps big box retailers. Fly shops supplying onesy-twosy old stock items wouldn't work I don't think.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.