Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Indi Ira
9,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom just moved back from California to the Bonney Lake Tapps Lake area and it's time to take her on her annual fishing trip. I've checked the stocking reports and not being to familiar with the area of Bonney Lake or Tapps Lake I just could figure out where around there might be a half way decent put and take fishery. In the past we've headed out towards Eatonville and fished Silver Lake.

I'm not looking for big fish or secrets just a potential point in the right direction. I have a boat so I'll need a launch.

For that matter is Bonney or Tapps lake fishable at all for anything?

Ira..

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
There are several laikes in more or less that area. Tanwax can be good and use to have a good population of crapie and bass as well as trout. It has been awhile since I fished it but is still most likely a good bet. Going south a bit there are Clear lake in the Bald hills, Offut and McIntosh which are close to Tenino. American Lake has some very respectable Kokanee as well as some very nice trout. I have heard bad rumors about problems at Kapowsin but maybe that has gone away. It has fished well for me in the past. If it is eating type trout you are after I can say McIntosh has some of the best eating trout around!! I will be heading that way in another week or so to fish the evening hatch. It is a shallow weedy lake and by mid May the heavy duty trollers will be gone. It generally fishes best from 9am till noon or so and then from first shadows on the water until you cann't see anymore. Trolling with a sparse orange or green Carey is generaly productive. Scuds have always been good if You can stand to fish that way. When the hatch comes off dark emergers can be the ticket.

Dave

·
Indi Ira
9,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info folks. I've been sick for the last day, so I might not make it out now but if I do I'll post a report.

Wet Line, I haven't heard of McIntosh but it sounds interesting.
Stonefish, thanks for the link, very useful info.
Be Jofus G, have you ever fised Tapps? Are the launches really bad this time of year or is it more of a summer thing? If the fishing is even close to decent there, that would be the easiest option because my mom lives a mile from the lake.

Ira

·
Banned
2,051 Posts
Sorry it took so long to reply. Yes I've fished it a number of times. Never this early though so I can't say what the launch traffic will be like. It's also been a few years. It appears they have upgraded the launch so it may not be as bad. It used to just be a gravel ramp with no docks. This was my first opportunity to watch someone neglect their e-brake and sink a $60K SUV and trailor. You will find bucket mouth, small mouth, tigers, perch and trout in this lake. It also has a good bikini hatch on sunny afternoons.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.