Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I got a piece of deer hair, and have heard a couple different pieces of information regarding the microwave (for killing potential bugs).

A friend told me that the micorwave could potentiall harm the deer hairs buoyancy.

Others said just put it in for 30 seconds.

What say you all?

Thanks!

·
Anywhere ~ Anytime
1,613 Posts
Make SURE the wife is gone..

.. or better yet an old Micro unit.

Be carefull if it's got any moisture left. If you know it does air dry it first. 30 seconds is extreme.. start out with just 6 and slowly increase by 3 as you see how it reacts. I dont see how it could rob bouyancy.. open to others input on that though.

Good luck

·
Registered
309 Posts
Just drop it in a baggie with a little piece of pet collar. You should have your potential bug-lunches bagged with a little piece anyway to preserve your investment.

Washing skins in warm water with a capful of bleach kills everything and gets the dirt out. For feathers and fluffy furs you have to blw dry them or they matt.

Over dry materials are always a PITA.

·
Left handed Gemini.
538 Posts
I've always just put materials in my freezer for a couple of weeks when ever I was worried about bugs, this worked very well killing carpet moths and ticks without any sign of reinfestation after removal.
tony

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
I usually use the freezer for a couple of days. Have never had a problem. Bob

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
I've always just put materials in my freezer for a couple of weeks when ever I was worried about bugs, this worked very well killing carpet moths and ticks without any sign of reinfestation after removal.
tony
iagree I think its the least likely to adversely affect the material.

·
A collector never stops collecting!
4,895 Posts
It doesn't taste any better after it's nuked! Althoug :clown:h I really prefer my deer hair to be sushi grade...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.