Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my copy of CCA's Tide Magazine. There is an article under the Washington section regarding recent efforts to get derelict/ghost nets removed from the Nooksack River.

There were apparently 62 derelict nets gps'd and photographed from the Hwy 9 Bridge to the Mouth of the Nooksack.

This information went from Bryan Irwin, CCA Pacific Northwest Executive Director to Phil Anderson, WDFW Director. It is my understanding that the Nooksack Tribe has removed 13 of these nets down to and around the Slater road bridge. Apparently, at this time, it remains unknown whether the Lummi Nation has addressed the remaining derelict net issues below Slater road bridge to the Mouth.

It does appear that there are now plans to maintain longitudinal efforts to keep this from happening in the future.

Glad to hear this issue has finally received the attention it deserves.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Glad something is finally being done. I noticed several last year during the canoe leg of ski to sea. I'm surprised with all those people going through there that it took this long to address the problem. Lets hope it sticks.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
This is a great example of how CCA can work. This is truly a "for the good of the fish" situation. I applaud those who found the nets and reported them. They know who they are, don't post here all that often, and quietly spoke loudly for our river.

I was not one of the active participants, but would like to be that effective someday. Thank you all.

Go Sox,
cds

·
483 Posts
Glad something is finally being done. I noticed several last year during the canoe leg of ski to sea. I'm surprised with all those people going through there that it took this long to address the problem. Lets hope it sticks.
Did you do the canoe leg last year? Doing it again this year?

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
This is a great example of how CCA can work. This is truly a "for the good of the fish" situation. I applaud those who found the nets and reported them. They know who they are, don't post here all that often, and quietly spoke loudly for our river.

I was not one of the active participants, but would like to be that effective someday. Thank you all.

Go Sox,
cds
+1 on all that.

The guys who worked to document the nets and get this pushed forward are badass in my book.

·
483 Posts
I think it would be valuable information if anyone noticed any derelict nets during the race.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.