Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Language, its a virus
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit Dry Falls for 2 1/2 days last week-end with Johnny P and Stonefish.
Was able to get in a few hours on Thursday eve as kind of shake down
run. I got 3 and John got two in a few hours of fishing. One was pushing
20 inches the others around 17 inches all bows (very footballish) John used a
leach and I got mine on scuds. Hit it again Friday and didn't touch a fish till noon
then we got dialed in with dragon nymphs and water boatmen. Brian was bobber watching
and all told over a dozen fish to hand each with one 20 inch brown captured by John.

Saturday started hot with lots of LDRs but it just never got going with only six fish to hand by me
and John getting another 20+inch Brown. Brian had the best day with over 15 fish boated.

Still a little early if you don't bobber fish but it was a great time with good friends. Watching
the Peregrine Falcon do its thing was worth the whole trip but you can't beat those Eastern Wa.
fish for fight.

Dave

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Great report. That Stonefish guy is one fishy dude. Sounds like fun for all. Thanks for sharing.

·
Language, its a virus
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We got to see the Falcons attack a swallow, which
was hauled off and a very lucky dove that got a glancing
blow but was able to fly off. A hawk ventured into the airspace and
was quickly run off by the Falcon which was about the quarter of the
Hawks size. Thats one badass bird!

Dave

·
previously micro brew
4,663 Posts
Cool stuff! I watched one, not at DF, hit a swift and and as the swift tumbled towards the ground, the falcon swung around and came back to pick it out of the air.

Dave - did you get an H20 temp?

Scott

·
Registered
578 Posts
We fished Friday and Saturday and worked hard for all the fish we got--about 7 between the two of us, plus the usual LDRs and missed hits. I had fairly good action on small soft hackles, and medium on chironomids (if good and medium can be used to describe catching so few fish!). The best fish of the trip was a large RB that took an emerger pattern off the surface as I was taking a drink. It dove into the weeds and hunkered there. I was able to pull my anchor, kick over, and coax it loose and eventually into my net.

I think the lake is still pre-turnover, and the fish are spread out everywhere.

Oh, and saw that falcon, too. The sound it makes in that dive is impressive!

Tom

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,855 Posts

·
Sculpin Enterprises
3,461 Posts
I joined the crowds on Saturday afternoon and fished through Monday afternoon. The fish were in a biting mood and the winds were mostly cooperative. I caught fish on chironomids, on trolled nymphs, and on Callibaetis dries (yeah!!!). Most were very nice 18-20" bows, and I did have one 10" brown grab a Callibaetis parachute. Some fish fought hard - long lightning-fast runs and leaps; others were like wet socks. I need to work on my Callibaetis patterns; my parachute worked O.K. on Sunday, but I had too many refusal or ignores on Monday. In the right places, one could watch cruising bows along the edge of the reeds that would take midges and Callibaetis of the surface.

Steve

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,855 Posts
Bob,
Sorry you missed the fun, but I understand the priorities.
SF

PS - Dave harmed no bullhead at Dry Falls this past weekend.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
I’m sure I saw some you out there last Saturday and Sunday. Irafly and I were in his pram. We found fish mostly deep on both chironomids and leeches. All rainbows for us but had a large brown chase one of the smaller ‘bows we hooked. Irafly had his rod pulled out of the boat while trolling back to the launch on Saturday night and returned to him Sunday morning by another forum member who hooked the tip guide trolling a leech deep. Irafly needs to play the lottery this week.

·
Indi Ira
9,492 Posts
Yep, thanks Mike and I mean a big thanks.

I mean when I started telling the story to Mike Sunday morning, kinda matter a fact like with a full night of realization and exceptance that that rod was gone, and he responds with: "What kind of Rod was it?" Well you do the math folks, you now that question is going to raise the heartbeat of any of us. When I tell him and then he says: "Come on over I have it right here." Belief and shock coexisted but more so shock. Belief took over when the rod truly was revealed to be mine and then a story followed of a harrowing rescue from the depths literally hooked by the very tip eye. My last image of that rod before that was of the tip slowly bobbing up and down as a trout thirty yards away lept and lept out of confusion. Mike told me the leader was severed, I'm glad to know the fish managed an escape from my troutpocket borrowed callibaetis nymph.

The rest of the day I was plain giddy.

Saturday we landed 25 between the two of us and Sageman who was also fishing with us in the morning for awhile landed 6.
Sunday we found some fishing mids after finally finding a location that the fish seemed to be concentrated and I think we ended up landing 15 or so between the two of us.

Ira..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.