Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple weeks ago I took a good buddy beach fishing for his first time and when he came over he brought me a bunch of wild game. He's an extremely successful hunter.

Tonight I made up elk burgers and some black bear burgers, as he gave me packages of ground bear and elk.

I've eaten elk many times and knew it would be excellent, which it was. But the ground bear surprised me. It was by far the best burger I've ever eaten. By FAR. My son whole heartedly agreed.

Caramelized onions, sauteed mushrooms,bacon and provolone cheese made for one hell of a burger. My wife, who has never eaten wild game in her life actually ate the elk and enjoyed it immensely, but she refused to touch the bear. That's ok, that left more for my son and I. I'm still full!

Tonight's dinner definitely had me rethinking my decision to quit hunting years ago! Man I've missed wild game.

Food Tableware Plate Ingredient Bun

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With bears it all depends on what they've been eating - fall bear eating huckleberries is good, spring bear feasting on skunk cabbage not so much.
We always went for fall bear, but I quit hunting years ago.
You've got a quality friend there.
Good point, my buddy did make sure to let me know it was a berry bear when he gave it to me.

·
that's His Lordship, to you.....
6,159 Posts
Greg's got it! I think it's pretty much the same for any game animal; depends on what they've been eating. A friend of mine made some bear sausage, and it was exquisite, but it was Fall bear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.