Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've stopped subscribing to American flyfishing magazines. Got tired of anglers trying to make a fish seem twice as big as it is by holding it up arm length into the camera. Steelheaders and salmon anglers see especially prone to this.

Why can't we just enjoy a trout or steelhead for what it is. An 8 pound steelhead is a joy and a miracle. Why try to make it look bigger?

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
And even if they are going to release it they have to lift it clear up so we can see their face too and have the fish out of water way too long. Lay your rod in the water next to the fish to give an idea of the length of the fish and leave the fish in the water,or just turn it loose. Don't kill the fish even if you put it back. Bob

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
Well I for one don't fish for big fish. I'm just as happy with an 8" fish as most are with one in the pounds. I go out for the enjoyment of fishing. If I get someting over 16" I'm as happy as a clam.

Jim

·
Fly Fishing guide "The Bogy House" Lodge
381 Posts
Yea some of those pic's are pretty skewed,,,never was much of a fan to that Mag, reminds me a little of Washington Fish & Game mag remember those shots, some looked like they bought a fish out of safeway and through it in the air with some kind of BS rig in it's mouth and a piece of water in the background :rofl:

·
Registered
648 Posts
Guys trying to exaggerate size....not the exclusive domain of fly fishing magazines.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Who cares about how big the angler/photograph is trying to make the fish, a cool photo is a cool photo. I personally like those shots where you're face to face with a big hook jawed lunker, it adds more variety to the magazine eye candy

·
Flaccid Member
3,899 Posts
i suggest every fishermen purchase a tape measure and put it to work on those "18 pound steelhead" and "27 inch browns."

i have a few buddies who arent to be trusted with anything over a 12inch rainbow. its pretty laughable. tape a few fish and you suddenly realize how big a 2 foot brown really is. and how you probably havent caught one.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I don't know how huge of an exaggerator I am, just because there is usually someone to keep me honest. But I definitley need to carry around a tape, just for my own info, and future accuracy when explaining a fish's size. And agreed, maybe I havent caught that 2 ft brown yet, But you know its gonna happen next year :p

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
what ever the name of our very own PNW fly fishing magazine is, i sent a letter to the editor pointing out that he was publishing photos of folks breaking the law and potentially harming fish in his very own publication. the response was a joke. i don't take any magazines on fishing any longer, same oh, same oh.............

G

·
I don't know how huge of an exaggerator I am, just because there is usually someone to keep me honest. But I definitley need to carry around a tape, just for my own info, and future accuracy when explaining a fish's size. And agreed, maybe I havent caught that 2 ft brown yet, But you know its gonna happen next year :p
Those measure nets work great. Easy for releasing too.

However there is another way. I measured out 18", 20" & 22" on my fly rods from the top of the handle up the rod. On a couple rods I actually took silver thread (matching the trim) wrapped it at each measurement, and sealed it.

That way if I caught a fish that seemed note worthy, I could simply lift the fish just a couple of inches out of the water and hold it up to my rod.

For those who don't want to "mark" up their rods, just make a mental note of a couple key spots on your rod & measure those. That way the fish gets less stressed by trying to pull out some sort of measuring device.

·
Blind hog fisherman
2,895 Posts
How can you tell a fisherman is lying about his catch? His lips are moving. Holding a fish up close to make it look bigger, well, not a big thing really.

What I like is someone catches a neat little native trout, 8 inches long, and is tickled pink about it. Now that is a true fisherman. But than again, I'm biased...

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Those measure nets work great. Easy for releasing too.

However there is another way. I measured out 18", 20" & 22" on my fly rods from the top of the handle up the rod. On a couple rods I actually took silver thread (matching the trim) wrapped it at each measurement, and sealed it.
Two very good points. I have three different sized knotless measure nets and a couple of my more often used rods marked with some "hero dots".

The best way to make a fish look bigger is skip the picture all together and lie about the size!
:rofl: Would anyone actually do this? :rofl: I just reinjured my back laughing at the thought of any angler lying to increase the perceived size of their...catch.

G

·
i suggest every fishermen purchase a tape measure and put it to work on those "18 pound steelhead" and "27 inch browns."

i have a few buddies who arent to be trusted with anything over a 12inch rainbow. its pretty laughable. tape a few fish and you suddenly realize how big a 2 foot brown really is. and how you probably havent caught one.
i have to agree... most people have no clue how big fish are. I always have a tape on me and in the measure a net, which by the way is only accurate to a certain extent. I put a brown in the net that read 28" took it out and taped it old school and he taped out a over 30." damn life is good!

get a tape as sean said, great idea

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I'm tired of guys with small hands throwing the size of the fish out of proportion.
:rofl:
What about all the guys with fat heads throwing the size of the fish out of proportion?

All fish are nice, some are just bigger then the others.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.