Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always loved the look of a nicely tied steelhead fly. I recently purchased a wooden fly box from an artisan in California, and stocked it with steelhead flies (and a couple of Atlantic salmon flies I got from Labrador a few years ago) to display on the mantle of my fireplace (pics below). Do any of you have flies on display around the house?

Attachments

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
Frankly my flies are not pretty enough for display. My wife did make me a pretty neat picture frame last year displaying two pictures of adult chinook I landed that summer with the flies that caught them underneath. It's become one of my favorite possessions.

I did decide today after clipping off two flies that had been chewed to shreds that I'm going to start saving all the chewed up flies I retire and will make some sort of display to keep at my tying desk for motivation.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
I have one framed fly plate on the wall. My fly club does an annual Christmas fly plate containing flies tied by members. It's a raffle prize. Then I have a small frame containing a single fly. And I have a fly plate frame and a bunch of flies to put in it that I've never bothered to get finished. This thread is a good reminder to get after it.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Bottle Product Liquid Food Drink

I like to keep a small collection on display next to my whisky and brandy collection. It just seems like the correct thing to do.

Wood Rectangle Art Tap Font

I also have a shadow box of flies I tied when I was probably 13 or 14 for my grandfathers 80th birthday. The photo in the center is a picture of the Duckabush that my brother took and developed. After my grandfather passed, my parents shipped it back to me from England (and it somehow managed to survive the trip after pretty much everything else in the box was broken). The ties aren't all that great, but it sure is a prized possession.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
View attachment 135994
I like to keep a small collection on display next to my whisky and brandy collection. It just seems like the correct thing to do.

View attachment 135995
I also have a shadow box of flies I tied when I was probably 13 or 14 for my grandfathers 80th birthday. The photo in the center is a picture of the Duckabush that my brother took and developed. After my grandfather passed, my parents shipped it back to me from England (and it somehow managed to survive the trip after pretty much everything else in the box was broken). The ties aren't all that great, but it sure is a prized possession.
VERY nice. I like your fine choices in whisky/brandy, but especially the framed flies embedded in the piece of what I assume is drift wood. Nicely done.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
About 30 years ago, my fly club gave me a framed set of member's flies as an award for editing the newsletter for 15 years. Since then other club members and I have made framed fly displays, often for our biannual conservation auctions. Most recently, I had a low-contrast color enlargement made of a photo of Chopaka Lake, and on it mounted eight of my trout stillwater patterns. It was in an attractive frame that I'd bought for $2 at a Goodwill store. A local frame shop helped me put it together for a modest price. I suggest that you go a similar route for a start, framing one or a few flies in a shadow box or level frame. (I recommend a near-white background; note the visibility difference between Mark Mercer's two framed sets, above.)

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
I have a cabinet in my living room that has a few fishing items within. There is a box of nice steelhead flies, the fly I caught my sailfish on, a Winchester Fly reel, two perrine auto reels, an outfit that supported Casting for Recovery; a pink Ross CLA 4 reel w'pink Teeny fly Line, and a TFO Casting for Recovery Rod, and a few other odds and ends that have some meaning to me. I share it with my wife's collection of "pink ladies" that she bought to support breast cancer research. I also have a complete set of Left'y Little Library that I bought in the '90's. Everything inside, including the flies, has some specific meaning to either her or me or both of us.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've always loved the look of a nicely tied steelhead fly. I recently purchased a wooden fly box from an artisan in California, and stocked it with steelhead flies (and a couple of Atlantic salmon flies I got from Labrador a few years ago) to display on the mantle of my fireplace (pics below). Do any of you have flies on display around the house?
I was lucky enough to have Bob Quigley as a friend. He was one of the most innovative fly tiers I've ever met. I have a number of his flies I want to display. They are small trout flies so I'm having difficulty figuring out how to mount them in the shadowbox. I thought about using a little bit of glue of some kind and mounting the hooks that way. I've done shadow boxes before with larger steelhead and salmon flies but nothing like this. I thought perhaps a little dab of hot glue and then hold the hook onto it until the glue dries. Suggestions?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Hiouch: Most flies look better when mounted to show a side view. One can use flexible wire, with the knot on the back side of a sheet, or base. For my lake fly display, I devised this method: for each fly, I used a flytying awl to punch two holes, corresponding to the hook eye and the bend. I threaded a needle and positioned a small collar button behind each hole. I made several stitches through a hole, around the hook eye or bend, then back through the button. That holds the fly securely, and it can be removed in the future, if necessary.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.