Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one's had me wondering for a while, and b_illy's latest moving/grooving trip report set me to me pondering the subject again. I was going to post something in his thread http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com...move-she-loves-to-groove.118794/#post-1170185, or PM'ing him, but that seemed a bit rude. With the SealSkinz thread off the front page, and Spudfly chilling out a bit, this seemed like a good time to put the question up for general discussion. Though I've taken the liberty of using WFF's dad of the year as an example, my intention is not to criticize him or anyone else.

I see this often enough in LMB threads, and it seems odd that people can post a picture of things happening to a bucketmouth that would have everyone loosing their s_ _ t over if it was a beloved trout. I mean, that poor thing inhaled a barbed hook, it's deep in his mouth, you're grabbing him by the lip and hauling him out of the water, etc, etc. The Horror. Are largemouths just such tough MFs that they laugh at such handling and really don't mind, or conversely, is the trout family so delicate that they'll croak if you lift them out of the water or otherwise show disrespect?

Honestly, I'm not looking to pick a fight, and do think it's NBD, but I am curious why the "double standard."

·
Should be fishing
697 Posts
There are guidelines of proper bass handling. Many of them are recent(ish), but there is evidence that bass of a certain weight can be forever screwed up by pulling them up out of water horizontally by their lower jaw.

The evidence says it can hurt them and make them unable to feed there after. Inevitably killing them.

Nothing that Billy has posted seems to qualify for the size of bass that can be hurt by such handling. Not that Billy hasn't caught large bass, because he obviously has, but there are no pictures he has presented that show him handling heavy bass in this manner.

There are, however, bass fishing pros who have been pictured handling large bass in this manner and they have been called out by fish biologists and penned statements vowing to change their ways.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
While I prefer the environment and hunt for the elusive and selective wild trout, back when I resided in trout fishing hell, I spent many a day standing on the casting deck of my bass boat, slinging big flies into tight cover for small and largemouth bass. They have earned my respect. A bully and ambush predator, the surface strike is often violent and the initial fight like a freight train. The lake I fished held bass in the 4/5 lb average with double digit fish not that uncommon. Among the bass anglers, I was considered strange due to the fly rod that decorated my deck, but they could not argue with results. They are tough fish.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Have found new respect for SMB, the fight that they put on are pretty fun and unfortunately my trips to good trout country are becoming less and less as the kids get bigger/ busier. That being said I am getting more and more into the warmwater fisheries because of where we live and our vacations take us (mostly MN & WI) and pike, muskie and SMB are definitely on the radar. I do think I need to start sewing sponsor patches on my collared shirts.

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
When I first moved here, I lipped a lot of bass; I also caught my share of "repeaters," and had bass scuttle float tubes. Bass are far more durable than trout & since bass in this country don't reach the monumental proportions that they do in the southern states, I doubt that lipping one does serious harm. I tend to net everything now including carp (I find it to be quicker, easier, & an effective capture technique), but will lip one for a rare photo after the fact. I use both barbed & de-barbed hooks - bass will throw a hook far more easily/quicker than a trout, in my experience. Any fish can take deep - it happens & is inherent to the fishing game. I have no problem with Billy's photos or handling of the fish portrayed and I enjoy his shared adventures (even if I do feel the occasional twinge of jealousy, lol.). I also post very few fish photos on here. As long as fish catching & handling techniques are effected within established regulatory guidelines, I'm good with that. This is the personal opinion of an old guy who has caught & released a lot of Basin bass on both fly & conventional gear.

·
Now hanging at the other, better new place
3,681 Posts
When handling these fish, I'd like to see collard shirts. This isn't your gym...we are fishing here.
Now Swimmy, I get that you're from the Peach State, but as a fellow former denizen of Dixie, I don't appreciate you reinforcing stereotypes of Southerners like we all go around barefoot and can't afford shirts so we make them out of collard greens.

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,857 Posts
There are guidelines of proper bass handling. Many of them are recent(ish), but there is evidence that bass of a certain weight can be forever screwed up by pulling them up out of water horizontally by their lower jaw.
Link to guidelines of proper bass handling?
I guess Jack Links Major League Fishing hasn't gotten the memo yet........
SF

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.