Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been out looking at used book stores. I’m looking for a copy of “The Art & Science of Speyfishing”. I found one place that had the largest selection of fly fishing stuff I have seen so far. Then I turned around and behind glass were a bunch of out of print and first edition books like:

Silver by Roderick Haig-Brown
Fisherman’s Spring/Summer/Winter/ and Fall by Roderick Haig-Brown
Measure of the Year by Roderick Haig-Brown
A Primer of Fly Fishing by Roderick Haig-Brown
Above Tide, refelections of Roderick Haig-Brown

Other books too:
Nymphs by Schiebert
Fly Fishing Pacific NW Waters by Shewey
Fishing with Lee Wolf (and others)
A bunch John Geirach’s

My questions are:
How do I know what are collector books?
Is there anywhere online I can find out info like that?
What should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,341 Posts
I'd be really curious to know where you found those books. The only shop that I know of in Seattle is David Ishii, Bookseller in Pioneer Square, and I was just there without seeing all those.

But the spot you want to check out is on the net: www.abebooks.com, but they don't seem to have your book. Another thing to do is to request a Greycliff Catalog at www.greycliff.com, they have a good list that just came out, but I know I couldn't find it right now. Other northwest bookstores are Pelican Bay in Anacortes, and Powells in Portland. My brother is a notorious book collector, and his list is quite long of places that he has bought books, and I keep hearing of the steals he has gotten, like a first edition Haig-Brown for $1.

As to collecting fishing books, its what you want to collect. Personally, I really like NW Fly Fishing books, like Haig-Brown, and I would like to get into Zane Grey's adventures in the northwest.

After you collect books for awhile, what you are really coveting should come clear. Right now, I want decent readable copies of the books, as that's all I can afford. But quite frankly, I would love to get my hands on all of H-B's first editions signed by the master, himself. Now, if I happen to show up at a yard sale and there is a collection of first editions for sale for $5 each, they can just be considered mine, then and there.

Other things to collect are old catalogs, fly tying pattern books, and the like. So the world is your oyster.

Rob
---------
Genetic pollution damages wild
stocks, bonk those Hatchery Zombies!

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
My favorite places for older and collectible sporting books are tag sales, church bazaars, auctions and my favorite dealer is Judith Bowman Books in Bedford Hills New York.She's really one of the all time pros in fishing related stuff. There's others too, I just Know Judy Best.Most of the better sporting book dealers have a page or two in their catalogs on grading, conditions etc.There are some reference works on collectibles but the best information will come from beating the streets and reading all the catalogs you can find and getting burned a few times out of your own greed, hubris or a combination of the three.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
My questions are:
How do I know what are collector books?
Is there anywhere online I can find out info like that?
What should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance,

Matt
Well first of all you need to learn the jargon. Find out what F means as opposed to VF when it comes to book grading. Then, hit places like www.bibliofind.com and search the titles you want. You will get a range of prices on the book you are looking for, depending usually on condition. Places like that expect you to know the condition of what you are buying based on the description. Deals can be had there. I got a signed first of Mcmillan's "dry line steelhead" from Bibliofind including a note from him to F. Amato about ideas for another book for $45. The dust jacket was a little banged up, but the book was primo.

Collecting mint first editions is a game you don't want to get into unless you REALLY want to get into it. I have a few, mostly found by accident. If it's something you really want to do, do your homework on the used book game first. It'll save you alot of grief later.

Philster

·
Registered
429 Posts
Reeltrout :COOK There is a guy in the San Francisco area I met years ago who runs a business selling old and collector books on Fly Fishing. I think his last name was Adams and he was out of Marin County. You might try a few of the tackle shops like Creative Sports Enterprises in Pleasant Hill (owned by Andre Puyans of the famous AP Nymph) or the Orvis store in San Francisco. They will know how to find this guy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.