Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
It's all about the sauce.....
551 Posts
Alexander, I have fished a similar set up in the past made of fiberglass. I still have the rods, so I'm thinking I may convert them to a Tenkara style of rod or a nymphing rod on smaller waters. I used them as a kid to fish carp. It's amazing how strong they are fully lifting a 12# carp out of the water.

I can see how they would be a great packaway rod for some off the path mountain creek, or even the forks of the snoqualmie. From what I've seen the set up is very affordable.

Mike

·
that's His Lordship, to you.....
6,159 Posts
I watched one of my neighbors fish on the Icicle with one last season. They work fine, have great line control, and he did catch small fish BUT!! He couldn't reach the across-stream eddies where the bigger fish hung out simply because the rod had no line storage. I found it extremely limiting. It's certainly lighter than a 2-wt with reel & line, but you really limit your utility with no line to cast. His rod was over 13 feet long, but that's not nearly enough for most streams we fish here. Guess it boils down to the size of the stream.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I was fortunate to recieve one as a gift earlier this summer and it has been my go-to rod the last couple of months for smaller rivers such as the Tye, South Fork Snoqualmie, and the Taylor. You do have to wade into position more often with having less range but you can also drop a dry fly and get a drag free drift into spots that are difficult with a conventional floating line.

It won't be for everyone but I personally really like the simplicity of the setup.

·
Fishon
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After I locate some small creeks in my area or at least within an hours worth drive worth fishing, I'm going to pick on up.

PS, thanks for all the replies!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I've been fishing them for a year since I moved to Virginia. They are not as limiting as some would have you think. I have them from 9 to 13 feet and other poles to 21 feet. I fish them all with flies. They are very inexpensive at allfishingbuy.com I prefer the Wakata models there and the Ayu model at tenkarausa.com

Randy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.