Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I posted this here to get as many views as possible. Not sure if it belongs in fly tying or classifieds or not but here is my question. I have been away from fly fishing for quite some time now after my storage unit was broken into 5 years ago and lost every piece of fly fishing equitment I had ever bought. I am jumping back in with both feet and am wanting to buy a large amount of flies to get started. I usually would buy from a local shop, but since money is limited and I would rather not give my money to online store and get lower quality of flies, I was wondering if there is anyone who sells their flies on here. Once I get my initial order of flies, I would continue to purchase all my flies from the local shops. I was on fly fishing America forum and everyone said to buy from one of there members named hairwing530.... high quality flies and 100 flies for $60. I don't know how he makes any money but everyone was very supportive of him. So I was wondering if we have a local version of hairwing530....looking to buy nearly 200 flies. Mainly trout flies of all different patterns and stages. If anyone knows of someone locally let me know. Thank you in advance

·
Free Man
1,872 Posts
If I were going to buy 200 flies, I'd walk into a sponsor shop and negotiate. For one thing, they will help you with your selection. Unless you have an inventory from way back, it may be hard to recall what is right for the area and your interests. You'll know what you're getting quality wise, because you can see it.

This was free advice, worth every penny.

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,857 Posts
Not all online store flies are lower quality.
I've bought flies that I didn't feel like tying a number of times from site sponsor Hill's Discount Flies and found the quality to be excellent.
SF

Reactions: Bob Triggs

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I'll second Stonefish's comment. Not all online flies are low quality. Hill's Discount Flies are very good. As are a number of other online fly sources. Where do you think the fly shops get their flies? I don't know any shops that tie all their flies in the quantities needed themselves. That said some are poor quality and you can find those in some fly shops too.

·
Buenos Hatches Ese
1,585 Posts
Why 200 flies? That seems like way overkill to get started trout fishing.... You could probably pick 5 patterns, buy 10 flies of each, and catch trout consistently for the next 6 months. Unless you are planning on losing them like crazy?? The only time I lose a large number of flies is nymphing from the drift boat, but other than that they should last you a while... I guess if you can find a really good bulk buy it might make sense....

·
Buenos Hatches Ese
1,585 Posts
200 isn't that many flies in my opinion, when I used to fish 200 days a year I probably had close to 600 flies.
Dang, I thought I fished a lot... Did you have a job then?

I probably have several hundred flies in my collection, but they are for various species and a lot are not used very often. Hey, it's not my money, but 200 flies is more than it would take to get back into the trout game is all I'm getting at...

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
When I was a kid and learned to tie the Teeny Nymph after seeing Jim Teeny at shows, it became my go to fly until I added a Wooly Bugger to the arsenal. Added a few dry dry patterns and that became my staple.

Fun to tie your own, half the sport right there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.