Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
chris
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any advice on dog vests?

Earlier in the season my dog Axle got torn up pretty good and I'd like to avoid either of us having to go through that again.

We had hunted pretty hard in the morning and he and my other dog Luna had crossed several barbed wire fences and butsed through some pretty heavy cover/dead fall. We went back to the cabin for lunch and to rest up for the afternoon. That's when Axle rolled over for some pets and I saw a 3 in. long slice that pretty much opened his chest like a zipper. It was kind of strange as there wasn't a lot of blood but the cut spread apart and exposed the muscles in his chest. Needless to say that was the end of our weekend, several stitches at the vet., and a forced lay off from fun for the yellow dog. I don't think he was too keen on wearing the cone either.

I've looked at the rip stop vest but there have been several reviews that have said that although it protects a dogs chest it can rub the front legs/pits and shoulders raw on long hunts or over multiple days of hunting.

I don't want to buy vests for the dogs and have it turn out that they do more harm than good.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Chris

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
I use (actually, "used") one with rip-stop sides & heavier protective bottom & front. I lined the edges of the leg holes with soft material , but you still must ensure a proper fit & check your dog every so often. The rare sore spot on a leg beats wire cuts every time. Having to stitch a bad gash when way out in the boonies isn't a pleasant experience for either party involved.

The neoprene vests, while providing warmth & some flotation are even more prone to cause chafing, in my experience.

By the way, Maggie endured several Elizabethan collars over her all-too-short life; when I found a clear one, she was considerably more comfortable with it.

·
chris
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a good idea. Lining the edges of the leg holes with something that won't be as abrasive may be a real quick fix.

Thanks for the info Jim.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dogs' troubles. Libby manages to tear her pads everytime I hit the eastside. Last year I almost had to carry her down the 'hill.' This year I purchased boots from "Uglydog Hunting"; which stay on! Needless to say they have some nice vests for dogs, which I think I'm going to invest in one as well. She slashed her belly pretty good in Wenatchee for the quail opener. Check them out...I appreciate the fact these guys sell stuff that is 'tested' and 'proven.'

"Oh no not the cone of shame!"

·
Registered
229 Posts
My dog had the same issues and ended up at the vet a couple times. I purchased a vest similar to cabelas ripstop chest protector. With this vest I found that the key to keeping the vest from rubbing is to fit it snug enough to keep it from moving around and not just when your dog is standing next to you. After putting it on have your dog sit, bow, lay down, etc. in order to see how it fits when moving.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have been looking for a vest for my lab. The issue so far has been the fit, almost smug in the chest 28" and very loose in the neck 16 1/2. I have been looking at neoprene and a chest plate. Neo for times I take her in the boat in the sound as a life jacket.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.