Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with snakes and ticks on the Yakima? I'm going fishing for a few days soon and want to take my newish dog. Never bringing a dog on the Yak with me, I never really thought about it til now. I know it's tick season, I just don't know how bad it is. Also, I've never seen any rattlers on the river banks, but I'm sure they're there...

Any info would be great!
Thanks,
Erik

·
Yes, I said "bobi-cator"
114 Posts
Have had both, but the snake issue has been quiter rare, and my pups just skirted around it. Ticks on the other hand are prevalant, and get more so during the hotter weather. repellent, and good look-overs at night have worked pretty good. Doesnt' hurt to check yourself either, I've a few surprises :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just retured from two days at Dry Falls after a day at Rocky Ford. Lot's of ticks but no rattle snakes yet. Before you seriously go into rattle snake country, check out the price of anti-venom at your local vet betore taking the plunge. Love my dogs too much to put them through the treatment, much less the expense. Yet, there a tons of dogs over there co-exsisting with rattlers. Go figure.

·
Free Man
1,872 Posts
Dogs are a fool proof method of locating ticks and snakes. I leave mine home when it's likely to be eating or feeding the wildlife. Tell then you were on a business trip when you get back.

·
dirty dog
5,326 Posts
One other thing to remember.
It is nesting season for all the wild birds.
It is against to law to let your dogs run free between April 1st and July 31st.
Other wild life are having babies also.
I catch more fish when I leave the dog at home.

·
Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
1,860 Posts
Just retured from two days at Dry Falls after a day at Rocky Ford. Lot's of ticks but no rattle snakes yet. Before you seriously go into rattle snake country, check out the price of anti-venom at your local vet betore taking the plunge. Love my dogs too much to put them through the treatment, much less the expense. Yet, there a tons of dogs over there co-exsisting with rattlers. Go figure.
The good news is that the vaccine is $30 for the initial treatment and $30 for the six month booster. There are no immediate effects.

The bad news the vet has seen two vaccinated dogs that were bit. First dog, looked great with no swelling. Second dog, looked like he never had the vaccine.

Lots of dogs over here co-existing with rattlers and several dead dogs as a result. The vet also said that rattlesnakes stink and all dogs can recognize the smell well before they trip over the snake. He recommended killing a snake, putting a shock collar on the dog and when they find the snake hit them with the max. He said they would avoid snakes after that.

Puppies are at the worst risk. I took my dog across the street to take a piss. The wind was howling and he lifted his leg over a bush. I heard this funny noise, that sounded somewhat familar. So I walked over to the dog and realized that he was pissing on a rattlesnake. I let him finish and quickly called him over. The good news is the snake decided to leave the area after that incident. Probably muttering something about the neighborhood.

·
Registered
82 Posts
K9 advantix. the stuff is spendy but works.
as far as rattlers go, unless you have a dog that seeks them out don't worry about them. and unless very small or already sick dogs can recover a from a snake bite without treatment in most cases, so getting them to the vet for the anti venom isn't the race against time that television would like us to indulge in.

gary brought up a good point, the birds are nesting so keep a leash on the pup, most dogs don't practice catch and release.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good advice, thanks fellas. I think he's staying at home on this trip, at least for the birds sake. This bird dog would not practice C&R I guarantee it!

·
that's His Lordship, to you.....
6,158 Posts
there's a guy down in CA who runs rattler avoidance training,and we had both our dogs put thru it. Vladimir's spot on in how it's done, but they use live rattlers, with their mouths taped and defanged several times per week by a vet. To me, snakes & politicians.....

·
Love da little fishies
1,678 Posts
I had a big lab/Sheppard mutt that loved the yak.

I always made sure he had a current dose of Advantage before taking him to Yakima.

He usually rode in the drift boat and spent very little time on the river bank. He spent 75% of his time swimming when I let him out of the boat, so we never had a problem with tics or rattlers in the 10 years he rode with me. Sadly, I had to put him down last June. He developed cancer.

If you are taking your dog in a boat I'd say there is no problem.

If you are bank fishing, then the dog better be contained so it does not bother other people or wildlife.

I will never regret taking my 4 legged fishing buddy along with me in the drift boat. Cherished memories.

·
newt
200 Posts
ticks came out early this year...... always rattlesnakes around the Yak. I almost jumped on top of one this year..... I think I scared him more than he scared me.... I am still not believing that statement.... I was surprised I didn't crap my pants

The rattle snake vaccine from "Red Rock Biologics".This was developed to protect against Western Diamondback Rattlesnake venom and others along this line.
Very low chances of getting a reaction from this vaccine, and IT dose not guarantee safety.... So many people do not understand this....

It may help with recovery after the bite. Possibility of no tissue loss or"sluffing" (necrosis on/around the bite area)
It MAY reduce the need or the quantity of the Antivenin (400-700$$$$ per bottle!)
It is supposed to increases the recovery and survival rate of dogs that get bit.----> some studies done have failed to prove it or disprove it...

I think it helps. Either way fluids, antibiotics, anti-inflammatory/steroids and Antivenin is the way to go!
All the dogs I helped treat did really good. None had received the Vaccine....=( So I am neutral on this.

frontline and advantix is the way to go!

if you see a tick DO not try to burn it off..... ROFL humans! Why treat a burn wound for a tick. I have....poor dog......dumb drunk guy!

·
Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
1,860 Posts
ticks came out early this year...... always

The rattle snake vaccine from "Red Rock Biologics".This was developed to protect against Western Diamondback Rattlesnake venom and others along this line.
Very low chances of getting a reaction from this vaccine, and IT dose not guarantee safety.... So many people do not understand this....

It may help with recovery after the bite. Possibility of no tissue loss or"sluffing" (necrosis on/around the bite area)
It MAY reduce the need or the quantity of the Antivenin (400-700$$$$ per bottle!)
It is supposed to increases the recovery and survival rate of dogs that get bit.----> some studies done have failed to prove it or disprove it...

I think it helps. Either way fluids, antibiotics, anti-inflammatory/steroids and Antivenin is the way to go!
All the dogs I helped treat did really good. None had received the Vaccine....=( So I am neutral on this.

!
Do you know if ANY vaccinated dogs have died after a snake bite?? My vet was sort of neutral on the vaccine. He prefered the snake avoidance training.

$400-$700 for antivenin sounds cheap. A friend got bit on the finger by a rattlesnake. $36,000 and two days in the Intensive Care Unit. Maybe he should have gone to a vet!

·
newt
200 Posts
400-700 per bottle. The dose is based on weight. Most labs need 2-4 bottles (most vets use one) that dose not include hospitalization and other treatments easy 1000-3000 bill.

most around 1500.

Only ones that I have heard that died with or with out the vaccine were ones that didn't get treated. or they were brought in too late.... 1-3 days later.

Most bites are pretty much dry. I do think that dogs scare the shit out of them so most are not dry. it is funny how much we do in a vet clinic that is almost the same as human care and about 1/3 the cost!

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
A friend got bit on the finger by a rattlesnake. $36,000 and two days in the Intensive Care Unit. Maybe he should have gone to a vet!
holy crap - I would rather cut my finger off than pay 36k. I'm not joking. I might start carrying a damned hatchet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
holy crap - I would rather cut my finger off than pay 36k. I'm not joking. I might start carrying a damned hatchet.
So what's the plan if you get bit somewhere OTHER than your finger?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.