Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,911 Posts
It's utter ethical crap to think fishing for native wild Steelhead is fine but fishing for Dollies isn't. Steelhead are in massive decline throughout their entire GLOBAL range and most certainly deserve to be listed under the ESA. Dollies on the other hand are abundant in much of their range and in fact very little is even known of them in WA state. They are obviously abundant in the Skagit system, legal to catch (and keep- with a limit of 2 last I checked), and provide fun sport for the flyfisherman. Go ahead and release them. Last I checked you could keep a limit of Dollies in most North Sound Rivers. I see very little difference between SRC and Dollies as far as fishing ethics go.

I agree with Jroni- keep the high and mighty to yourself.

· Registered
1,911 Posts
Agreed. Ray, I was replying to the first reply more so than yours. My point being that those living in glass houses shouldn't throw stones i.e. if you fish for wild Steelhead, it doesn't make sense to oppose Dollie fishing. I'm not sure that not fishing for either species benefits us in the long run- I believe sport fishing does indeed introduce conservation to people as well as some value for and commitment to the resource. Since Dollies have no commercial value it makes sense that they be evaluated according to sport fishing impact- quite a unique species in that manner (at least for Washington State). I don't think anyone is claiming to be Aldo here, just wondering about the Dollie fishing in Rivers where it is legal.

· Registered
1,911 Posts
Just possibly useful info

Amen Pirate. Release them all. I've always assumed that the "dollies" in the Skagit system were not salt fish, but rather White Chuck and Cascade etc spawning Bull Trout. I've seen how Alaskans treat Dollies (guides being some of the worst) and of course there is the old idea that Dollies eat eggs and fry of Salmon & Steelhead to the detriment of those species- yes they clean up the mess but only enhance the other species. There's no reason to meat fish or kill fish for dollies, but they are a great light sport C&R option whenh legal in the winter. The more value they have to sport fishermen the more attitudes will change to respecting and protecting them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.