Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Bull Candy. Look it up on any fly pattern site or you can tie long, heavy Shock 'n' Awes about 3 1/2 to 4" long with 7/16th heads and red or yellow eyes. They're some that I have used successfully over the past three years. The Crease fly is also very good but harder to tie. In reality any Sardina pattern will work well.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Don't put too much thought into it. All the patterns we use here will work for mahi, just gi a little bigger in size I do like tube flies however as they will last longer than a traditionally tied fly. Les Johnson taught me some good tips for the warm water. Also tie up some Gami stinger hooks on SC15's. They are sweet

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The reason I've asked, is because I am planning a trip to Hawaii in November. A friend of mine is a spear-fishing guy, and has invited me to accompany him and his friends on their boat. I thought about trawling on the way out to the dive site. While they will be diving, I'll be taking care of the boat and throwing some flies. So, the key is, they should be BIG and look like FOOD.................. I'll post a fishing report later this year.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
if you want to troll a line on the way to and from, 'the streaker'. for casting, i would be inquiring about the local 'bait' fish and make up some simple patterns that imitate color and size. pretty simple and if you get a rally going, be prepared for some really fast action.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.