Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well gang I am in the process of planning a great adventure mixing my two favorite hobbies. Here's the plan and I need input.

I plan on riding to Sturgis on my hog and carrying just enough fly gear to hit streams along the way. I have a few places to stay along the way. Billings and Buffalo WYO.

So here's what I need to find out. I will be leaving the 3rd of August returning whenever my sick days run out probably around the 113th or 14th.

What is the smallest wt rod I should use. I plan on getting a 4 piece? What reel?

Which places along the way would offer good wadable sections? I wont have a raft on the Bike:)

All I know thus far is that I will be fishing Rock Creek in WYO at a ranch that I have access to but no one there has fished in years so it's tough to gauge.

BTW this is a solo trip and open to anyone that might like to go along. If you dont ride no problem just bring the truck:) It would be fun to have a partner.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Sounds like a blast! Especially the part about rippin' across the country on the hog, Wide Open Baby!

I have three rods that perform 90% of my fishing tasks for trout.

1.) 9' 6 weight Winston LT 5 piece. My bread and butter for nymphing when big fish are around, casting when there is a bit of wind, casting streamers, big stoneflies, and anything requiring a bit of meat. Oh yeah, for fishing those lake things too. Used 50% of the time.

2.) 8'9" 4 weight LT 5 piece. Lovely little rod for smaller trout, spring creeks, dry fly work, light nymphing, small streamers, backup rod, etc. Used 30% of the time.

3.) 7'9" 3 weight LT 4 piece. Perfect for small streams and small trout, but I've found myself using it less and less lately. Makes a great bluegill rod too, although casting cork poppers can get a bit challenging in the wind. Used 20% of the time, when fishing headwater streams for native trout.

The best all around rod, and probably the most popular, is a 8 1/2' 5 weight. I don't have any clue what the Sturgis is like, as I've never been there, but you can't go wrong with a 5 weight, unless the fish happen to be particularly small, or particularly large.

When it comes to what reel, that all depends on how much you wanna spend :) If you're looking for a cheaper reel, check out the Teton Tioga, and the Ross reels. Also, check into Redington or St. Croix packages, they make EXCELLENT low end rods, and both have good warranties. I would HIGHLY suggest getting at least a 4 piece, I love my 5 piece rods and would never go back. Good luck with the trip, and post a report when you get back! I'd join ya but I'll be in Alaska during that time :thumb

worldanglr
http://www.worldanglr.com/
http://www.patagonia-expedition.org/

Many men fish their entire lives without ever knowing it is not the fish they are after.

- Henry David Thoreau

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Sturgis is not a river; it's a place in South Dakota I think where bikers get togehter every year for a reuinion of sorts. ggood advice on the rods. I have a St. Croix, four piece, 9 ft. 6wt. for a backup rod and for traveling. I took it to France last year, and it worked out well in all cases. Damn French trout though, smart buggers. Very technical but fun.
Bob:thumb

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
What route you planning to go? I-90 all the way? Or possibly swing down through I-80? You have the South Platte through NE/WY, andCO. Good Trout. Plus, can stop at Cabela's in Sidney on the way and have everything you buy shipped home so it's there waiting for you when you get home.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi,

I live in the Minneapolis area and I fish Montana and Wyoming 2-3 times a year. I only use a 9' 4 weight Sage Light Line for all my fishing out West. I like a lighter rod and dry flies.

I have two suggestions for Large trout.

1.) Yellowstone Park. - If you have not been there - don't miss it - a national Treasure. The Yellowstone River has 15-21 inch Yellowstone Cutthroats and is very wadeable with easy highway access. The only place in the World that has this Native fish. I think they are much prettier than the Brook Trout - And Yes, I have been to Labrador a few times to catch the Native 7 pound Brook trout. I'll attach a picture of a Yellowstone Cutthroat. Notice the area I'm fishing is only about 200 yards from a parking lot and there is no one in sight. Walk a half mile down the river and you can have it all to yourself. The people that complain that Yellowstone is crowded are the ones that refuse to walk more than 2 blocks from their vehicle.

2.) Bighorn River. - This has many wadeable places around the 3 miles access. Great Hatches and fish that average 17 inches and very strong. Browns and Rainbows. Not subject to runoff as it is a tailwater fishery. I have fished here at least 25 times. You could hire a guide and float the river one day and this would almost guarantee good fishing.

This fishery can be crowded with other anglers, so if you are looking for total solitude this is not for you. There are plenty of places with solitude along your route - they may not have big trout however.

I am headed to Yellowstone Park myself on Friday!

Have a great Time!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks very much for the input. I don't know if I will have time enough to deviate too much from the main drag. I might look into a guide on the big horn. Sounds like I might look for a one day trip in MT as well. Can't think of a better way not to waste time.

And yes Sturgis is a biker rally. I wear two hats:) Fishing and a skull cap!

·
Registered
97 Posts
We fished the Big Horn last year in August with a great guide named Ed who was contracted through the fly shop in Ft. Smith. GREAT TIME! Huge Trout! We used our 5's with a floating line, big dry and a dropper.

We also waded quite a bit the day before and had very good success. Well worth the stop and it's close enough to the battlefield if your into that kind of thing.

We stopped there after Sturgis and had a great time. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Reddington makes a great inexpensive 5 piece 5 weight rod that can be purchased through cabela's. Rock Creek, MT, the yellowstone and as our friend said, the Big horn are all outstanding. Have fun in Sturgis, keep the sunny side up. :beer2

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.